Dental care for cats.

(14 Posts)
hiddenhome2 Thu 17-Sep-15 11:44:20

I've now got a toothbrush and some fish flavoured toothpaste as FatCat has had her check up and has a little bit of gum inflammation.

I also have some seaweed based stuff to sprinkle on their food.

Any tips, products or suggestions regarding dental care? I don't really want Pearl or FatCat having to undergo anaesthetic for a descaling job as it's traumatic and expensive.

cozietoesie Thu 17-Sep-15 15:11:31

All the best with that toothbrush, hidden. I tried one and failed miserably - I now just leave them to it and get regular dental check ups. (A GA is certainly not cheap but it doesn't seem to worry them afterwards.)

There are a couple of posters who have had success with a couple of methods though so maybe they'll comment.

hiddenhome2 Thu 17-Sep-15 17:42:54

Okay, thanks. I must admit I'm sceptical about the brush grin

hiddenhome2 Sun 20-Sep-15 10:38:16

It's not going well with the brush confused

Pearl goes bananas and FatCat is just shocked shock

I've got them some dental care dry cat food to go with the seaweed stuff and I think that'll have to do.

cozietoesie Sun 20-Sep-15 11:03:51

You tried, anyway. wink

I recall that Pearl is only a young 'un but remind me - how old is FatCat?

hiddenhome2 Sun 20-Sep-15 16:20:06

She's nearly 3.

cozietoesie Sun 20-Sep-15 16:58:12

Ah well. She's likely got a good few years of decent teeth still if you're feeding her an OK diet.

I had to have huge tartar buildup cleared from The Lodger's Teeth under GA at 3 years old - and they also sorted out a malconformation which they found when he was under - but he had lived on the streets for some time before he came to us and while he was a formidable hunter, I think he was also given to raiding the bins of the local Chinese restaurant when needed. (Lots of half eaten spare ribs in sticky sweet sauce!)

One of those things and his diet was certainly very ....variable.... in those days. He's had no trouble since and their regular vet checks should help you monitor both of yours.

cozietoesie Sun 20-Sep-15 17:08:46

Here are a couple of bits of ICC guidance on dental issues which you may find interesting for future reading. (They don't seem to be linked for some reason - or if they are, I can't see it which may be more likely.)

Dental disease in cats

Dental home care for cats

hiddenhome2 Sun 20-Sep-15 17:10:49

Yes, they get annual checks. Old Cat has had two lots of cleaning and extractions in the past and it was very expensive. She doesn't have many teeth left now.

Your poor rescued kitty having to eat all sorts on the streets. They have a hard life that's for sure.

hiddenhome2 Sun 20-Sep-15 17:11:16

Thanks for the links smile

hiddenhome2 Sun 20-Sep-15 17:13:24

I have to mix the dental care food in with their usual dry food as it's too expensive for sole feeding confused

cozietoesie Sun 20-Sep-15 17:14:38

Actually, I rather suspect that The Lodger thought he was rescuing us! grin

Not lacking in self-belief that cat.

hiddenhome2 Sun 20-Sep-15 18:14:38

Aw bless him grin

I came across a funny thing at the shelter today. A British Shorthair had been rehomed by them, but subsequently returned. I asked what had happened and the lass said he'd been bullying the people who took him on and the woman couldn't cope shock he was very demanding and it was getting out of hand grin

cozietoesie Sun 20-Sep-15 18:29:01

It happens, sadly. A cat that may appear to have one character while at the shelter comes out of their shell with a bit of 'security' and shows their true self. Or you may have had an owner who was inexperienced with that breed - or with cats in general. (I've had a lifetime of high maintenance moggies so am well used to it -in fact if I acquired a Siamese who wouldn't say boo to a goose, I'd probably have them down at the vet as possibly sickening for something! grin) Or....Or....Or....

It seems like an indifferent match whatever way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now