Catneut/cozie about? Rescue kittens

(13 Posts)
Wolfiefan Fri 11-Sep-15 22:40:40

Hi. We are looking to adopt a couple of kittens. Had cats for years but never kittens. So some dumb questions.
How likely are they to climb chimney/get under the dishwasher?!
Would a stairgate (not sure what to do about gaps!) stop them going upstairs to begin with?
What about FLV FeLV? Our cats have always been outdoor cats? Do I ask if mum has been tested? Take my chances?
TIA for answering any of these daft questions!

thecatneuterer Sat 12-Sep-15 00:13:06

They are very likely to climb the chimney and absolutely certain to get under the dishwashersmile

Getting under the dishwasher wouldn't be the end of the world but you would need to block the chimney off somehow.

A stairgate would stop kittens in the same way as Canute stopped the tide coming insmile

Do you mean FIV and FeLV? We don't routinely test for either of those. FIV in adult cats doesn't seem to cause them many problems. I think it's a bit more of a problem in kittens though. I don't think there's much need to test for either of those unless there is some reason to suspect a problem. I'm sure Lonecat could give us a vet's view on this. You can't really ask the rescue to test the cats/kittens for no particular reason, but I suppose if you really wanted to you could offer to pay for tests on any cats/kittens you were interested in. I certainly wouldn't bother if it were me though.

Are you sure you want kittens? They're a nightmare! Give me a nice, sedate adult cat any day.

Wolfiefan Sat 12-Sep-15 00:18:53

Grrr. Yes FIV! Blasted phone!!
The cat we lost was 19. We have felt soooooo sad since losing her. Really feel we don't want to replace her so are trying to go for something very different.
I've always had cats but never from a kitten. Kids are a bit older and I'm home all day so it feels like now or never. Plus we want two and all the older cats I've spotted are lone ones or no good with kids.
And I want a dog! Idea is to settle kittens in. Hahahahaha. Obviously that should read "wait until they stop pissing in my shoes and shredding the curtains!" And then get a dog which is used to cats.
Disclaimer. I think I must be bonkers!
Thanks cat neuterer. What would the litter tray be without you!!

jenks81 Sat 12-Sep-15 07:33:44

We have just got two rescue kittens through the RSPCA and they are totally gorgeous. We have had them just over a week and we've had no toilet accidents and they seem to have settled in really well. We have a door at the bottom of our stairs so we can shut that to stop them going upstairs and we have put a fire guard in front of the chimney to stop them going up there.

They've actually been easier to look after than I had imagined, the only real problem we have had is them climbing all over the furniture and plugging the sofa/chairs, I was expecting that though. Having two is great as they love to play together and curl up to sleep together. Good luck.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 12-Sep-15 08:38:49

Testing kittens for FeLV/FIV is really unreliable if they are under 16 weeks of age due to maternally derived antibody. In truth both are much less common in the cat population than they used to be so it is not something we routinely check in kittens now. We only tend to check high risk cats now days so middle aged unneutered male street cats, but I can't remember the last time I saw an FIV positive and it is over 18 months since I saw an FeLV positive.
So no I wouldn't worry about that.
As TCN has said chimney and dishwasher are high risk for hiding spots. Stair gate they should either be able to get through or over, I have witnessed some truest awful injures/deaths where cats/dogs have got 'hung up' on stair gates. I personally would, never ever use them around pets.
At this time of year I always mention to people getting kittens remember if you choose to put up a Christmas tree this year you will be opening kitten Thorpe park for them.
Adult cats every time for me to - I find them more grateful for a loving forever home.

cozietoesie Sat 12-Sep-15 15:21:23

Firstcat had been with us for about 6 days when he got up a working chimney and went to sleep on the soot ledge. Luckily there was no fire lit while he was up there but he was a young Siamese - hence more or less white - and he came down black. The only occasion when I ever had to bathe a cat and I carry the mental scars still.

These days, I would assume the worst and go over the whole house 'kitten-proofing' it (assume toddlers-who-can-also-jump behaviour) - including blocking chimneys on a temporary basis and then locating both youngsters and putting them outside the room when you started to light the fire in winter. (In my experience, once the fire is going, they won't attempt to go near it apart from for basking purposes.)

smile

Wolfiefan Sat 12-Sep-15 20:55:26

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm expecting mayhem! After dealing with ancient cat with multiple medical issues it'll actually be a welcome change. (Makes mental note to remind myself I said that when kittens are climbing me/shredding my curtains and pissing behind the TV!)
Cozie. I only tried to wash any part of a cat once. I still have the physical scars!

timtam23 Sun 13-Sep-15 17:36:45

Wolfie I had the same situation with old cats (both 18 years old, one had kidney failure, the other had overactive thyroid, high blood pressure & was blind) we were always at the vet so it seemed. We now have a 2 yr old cat who was a stray kitten, it has been a real delight to have a fit healthy young cat - at the mo we only go to the vet for vaccinations (touch wood) but my goodness the kitten stage was hair raising at times. My choice would have been to go to a rescue & get a cat who was out of kittenhood, calmer & with a more established personality but of course we could not turn my tiny stray away & we have been lucky that he fitted into the household so well.

timtam23 Sun 13-Sep-15 17:39:13

Oh and the Stargate will not work, DH rigged up an old pkaypen to keep kitten/oldies apart, kitten just walked through the bars grin
We put a cushion in front of the fireplace & we kept the toilet seat down. Also tried to keep wires etc out of kitten's reach. That was about all. Kitten rampaged around for quite a while but is much calmer as a young adult!

timtam23 Sun 13-Sep-15 17:40:09

*stairgate - not sure what happened there!

thecatneuterer Sun 13-Sep-15 17:43:54

Ha ha at sci-fi kittens escaping through a stargate grin

Wolfiefan Sat 19-Sep-15 22:37:43

Hiya! I just wanted to say thank you for calming me down. It's just going from 19 year old puss with ishoos to babies is daunting.

I needn't have worried. They have settled beautifully.

God I've missed having a cat. This house is more joyful, smiley and full of kitty love.
Cat neuterer and Cozie you are living legends.
Oh and don't worry my two won't leave the house until they are safely neutered!

MissMarpleCat Sun 20-Sep-15 13:38:49

Absolutely gorgeous envy
I want one grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now