Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of the smell of cat pee?

(7 Posts)
PurpleBananaPie Mon 07-Sep-15 16:25:00

My cat is currently on cage rest (been there for 12 weeks now sad) and obviously has a litter tray in there. A couple of weeks ago he had a metal fixator attached to his back leg to stop him bending his knee. This means he can't stoop down to pee and when he wees it's missing the litter tray!!

Luckily there is a waterproof sheet at the side of the cage so at least its not going up my wallpaper but its running down the sheet and soaking into whatever we have at the bottom of the cage.

I replaced the piece of carpet on Saturday, changed the sheet at the side and scrubbed the bottom of the cage but it still stinks! Unfortunately he is a ginormous cat and doesn't fit into those covered litter trays.

I'm going to put some puppy training pads down to see if they work but does anyone have any ideas for reducing the smell? He's got at least 5 more weeks in this cage and its making my living room pong!!

SacredHeart Mon 07-Sep-15 16:38:13

In pets at home (also online) you can get cleaners with enzymes in that break down animal waste. Best thing to use, it's called simple solutions.

www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/puppy-training/puppy-toilet-training/simple-solution-stain-and-odour-remover-for-dogs

PurpleBananaPie Mon 07-Sep-15 16:44:02

Cheers, I'll make a detour on my way home and have a look. I thoroughly scrubbed it at the weekend and it still smells, I can't stand it for another 5 weeks!

pilates Mon 07-Sep-15 16:50:02

Bicarb of soda

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 07-Sep-15 17:58:09

Can you tuck the sheet into the tray so it runs down and goes in the litter?.

PurpleBananaPie Tue 08-Sep-15 09:40:28

The sheet is currently tucked into the cage so his wee runs down onto the newspaper so at least its not running onto my carpet! Will try and see if I can tuck the edge into the tray although I think the bit that he is 'hitting' is to the side of the tray, iwswim.

It can't be very nice for the poor cat, I can smell it and they have a keener sense of smell than we do! I clean it everyday but the smell is not going. Our local pet shop didn't have any of that spray so am going to try a different one at lunchtime to see if I can get some.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 08-Sep-15 09:57:54

Biological washing powder works well too, as long as your carpet isnt 80% wool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now