Talk

Advanced search

I have a 4 week old kitten could do with advice

(17 Posts)
D0G Tue 01-Sep-15 09:59:17

For reasons I can't go into these kittens had to be taken away from mum at 4 weeks.

I have a little girl, I've been feeding her 3 times a day and giving her lots of cuddles and love. Is there anything else I need to be doing?

Costacoffeeplease Tue 01-Sep-15 10:15:21

I have hand reared several kittens, is she weaned? If so, I'd guess she's more than 4 weeks. I'd be feeding at least 4 times a day, with free access to dry food, has she been wormed, flea-treated?

D0G Tue 01-Sep-15 10:25:29

She was forcibly weaned taken from mum at the weekend. Not sure she would manage dry food she's pretty teeny. Yes she's been wormed and fleaed

Costacoffeeplease Tue 01-Sep-15 11:11:13

Can you bottle feed her cat milk?

cozietoesie Tue 01-Sep-15 11:16:38

Here's some general advice about hand rearing - although having got to 4 weeks and seen a vet (I assume - from your worming and fleaing comment) you'll be picking and mixing from it. How is her temperament at the moment - eg is she moping or bouncy?

My own Darling Oneago was abandoned by his mother at birth and was hand-reared by his breeder. He and his litter brother (also abandoned) both made it to adulthood fine, although they were, perhaps, a little quiet for Siamese. Having already made it to 4 weeks, she's got a really good head start. smile

Lurkedforever1 Tue 01-Sep-15 11:26:35

I raised one from just under 3 weeks years ago and at the time the vet advised using a hand blender so the food was like the regurgitated stuff some carnivores use in the wild. And he gave me a load of milk she could lap up but couldn't remember the brand now, don't think it's one you'd get in a supermarket. And a hot water bottle to cuddle up to when a body wasn't available so she wasn't wasting energy staying warm. She's still with the friend who was originally meant to have her if she was weaned normal time, and a very healthy mid teen cat.

Rarity08 Tue 01-Sep-15 13:35:50

You can buy formula kitten milk from the vets. I used this when I hand reared two kittens with a 20ml plastic syringe. If lapping they will drink from a bowl. You can get kitten wet food, easier for her to eat.
You need to register her with a vet so they can give you the best advice.
Btw do not give her cows milk, it has to be specifically for cats.
Good luck.

Rarity08 Tue 01-Sep-15 13:36:57

Also I slept with them snuggled in my bed grin

D0G Tue 01-Sep-15 20:58:14

She's doing really well eating and drinking water and kitten milk. She is very playful and purrs when having a cuddle.

D0G Tue 01-Sep-15 20:59:40

Pic doesn't really show how weeny she is

Costacoffeeplease Wed 02-Sep-15 07:38:39

So sweet, she's very like two of the three I hand reared in April

Northumberlandlass Wed 02-Sep-15 08:24:16

Oh D0G - how utterly gorgeous!

Rarity08 Wed 02-Sep-15 17:13:24

D0G - gorgeous smile

cozietoesie Wed 02-Sep-15 17:26:10

She's gorgeous. smile

Her general demeanour (eg the playfulness and purring) would matter a lot to me by that age. You can usually tell when a kitten (or cat) isn't thriving for some reason.

Is she to be yours eventually, DOG, or is it strictly a foster?

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Thu 03-Sep-15 07:16:52

I had my kitten from 6 weeks.

The main problem you may get is the social side of things. Normally the mother would teach her boundaries so you will have to do the same.

D0G Thu 03-Sep-15 10:38:43

She's doing really well, eating lots and meowing to tell us she's hungry, she's using her litter tray and I'm sure she's grown already, she's still a dot though.

I have to be careful about our puppy (she's 8 months but quite big) she seems to be mothering her she licks her loads but especially her bum ewww (but what mums do to stimulate them to pooh?) and her face/ears she does get playful as well and I worry that one nip could be the end, so I'm carefully supervising, cat isn't at all bothered about her though and seems to be enjoying the fuss.

Yes she is ours, we've called her Michelle. Will add today's pic as its so cute

D0G Thu 03-Sep-15 10:39:56

Michelle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now