Nigel

(29 Posts)
AllyC Fri 28-Aug-15 00:55:18

I'm a lurker usually but I'm just really so sad and angry. Nigel was dumped he was attracted to my house because I have lots of cats. He showed up about two years ago. My crowd weren't very nice to him but he persevered.

He was so lovely I can't understand how anybody would leave him after them. I work shifts and sometimes I finish at midnight. Nigel would run up the road when he saw the car and lie on his back for a belly rub when I got out of the car then we would both go in home. He had an amazing purr. He liked to sleep on the kitchen table but only on a newspaper or magazine. He was a yowler and really loved ham. He died tonight.

I'm glad I was able to give him dignity and comfort but I'm so angry at whatever horrible bastard thought it was OK to just leave him.

He started looking a bit peaky a week ago, we took him to the vet and he said he had a virus we got antibiotics but then he got run over by my neighbor on Saturday when he was out for a stroll and tore ligaments. He just wasn't strong enough. I knew he was dying this afternoon and we made him as comfortable as could be and he died with dignity.

I don't know why I'm posting really I think I just want to put it out there that Nigel was important and I loved him and I'm so so sad that he's gone. I'll miss you Nigel, have a good sleep.

thecatneuterer Fri 28-Aug-15 03:06:32

Poor Nigel. I'm so sorry. Thank heavens you made his last year happy. All cats are special and important. Some people are bastards.

BikeRunSki Fri 28-Aug-15 03:27:00

Poor Nigel. We adopted a dumped cat, Eddie, in 2001 when we bought our first house. Foul tempered bruiser he was! He'd obviously been treated very badly. Mellowed into a much calmer old man, who did not appreciate us throwing children into the mix a few years ago. He had a stroke and was PTS in June. I am surprised still at how much we all miss him.

Poor old Nigel. Sounds like he had a good few years with you.

Poor Nigel. Sorry for your loss OP flowers

ShipwreckedAndComatose Fri 28-Aug-15 07:47:17

That's a sad and lovely post. Sending you hugs flowers

PolterGoose Fri 28-Aug-15 09:21:57

So sorry flowers

AllyC Fri 28-Aug-15 13:48:07

Thanks everybody, I knew people on this board would understand. We buried him this morning in a nice fluffy blanket.

Pipbin Fri 28-Aug-15 15:19:27

Farewell Nigel. You were loved.

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 28-Aug-15 15:22:14

Nigel was one lucky boy to have you.

RIP Nigel.

(I am not crying, oh no)

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 28-Aug-15 15:22:42

Do you have a photo?

HookedOnHooking Fri 28-Aug-15 15:25:51

Poor Nigel. So glad he could have a nice life with you.

We have a Nigel. He's orange with a lovely loud purr.

MagpieCursedTea Fri 28-Aug-15 15:27:00

Sorry for your loss flowers
It's wonderful that Nigel was so well loved and cared for in the end.

Rarity08 Fri 28-Aug-15 15:31:17

RIP Nigel. Take comfort in the fact he 'chose' you and you clearly adored him flowers

AllyC Fri 28-Aug-15 16:53:46

I'm sorry about Eddie Bikerunski, they really become part of the family. I just told my DD and she started me bawling again. Heres a picture of Nige as we called him.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 28-Aug-15 17:03:56

Some cats have the worst luck, I'm glad he had some time with you being adored.

StopLaughingDrRoss Fri 28-Aug-15 17:20:38

He looks like an ace cat - big hugs!

ShipwreckedAndComatose Fri 28-Aug-15 17:22:45

I love the look on his face smile

AllyC Fri 28-Aug-15 18:04:44

He was waiting for his ham! Obviously I wasn't moving fast enough!

ShipwreckedAndComatose Fri 28-Aug-15 18:17:21

Bless him. And you stopped to take photos instead!!

I love those memories. My lovely old cat died recently. One of my favourite memories was the innocent 'not me' look on her face when I pulled her out of the muesli bag (!) when I caught her scavenging one time. She had bits of cereal stuck all over her lips!

timtam23 Fri 28-Aug-15 18:20:16

Lovely photo Ally, so sorry to hear about Nigel flowers

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Fri 28-Aug-15 18:25:29

I'm very glad that Nigel got to spend some time with you being pampered and adored. But also very sorry for your loss. ��

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 28-Aug-15 19:14:18

RIP Nigel. He was lucky to have you.

I was adopted last year by William who we think was left behind. I don't hate many people but I do hate the bastards that dumped him. I take comfort in the fact that for the last 6 months of his life he was loved and fed.

AllyC Fri 28-Aug-15 20:05:02

He just looked really cute sitting there, I had to whip out the phone for a pic. Lucky William PinkSparklyPussyCat (great name). I could never leave an animal in distress, I suppose that's why my house is full of cats and one lone Yorkshire Terrier with an identity crisis!

RoosterCogburn Fri 28-Aug-15 21:28:33

Oh he's lovely, I love a cat that perseveres. And he was lucky to choose you.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

susurration Sat 29-Aug-15 18:04:25

Nigel (excellent cat name by the way) was a very lucky Puss indeed to find such a big lovely extended family to look after him. Take comfort from the fact he trusted you enough to move in with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now