Talk

Advanced search

BertCat Part 2: No UTI, so why is she suddenly peeing outside the box?

(11 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Sun 23-Aug-15 18:50:44

It can only be stress or boredom, right?

I haven't changed her litter box cleaning routine or the actual litter.

I haven't changed her food.

I play with her twice a day, albeit I've noticed in the last few weeks she's not as energetic, but I've put that down to the heat.

She gets brushed twice a day.

I have noticed she is drinking a little more water, again, I've been putting that down to the heat.

She has a sleeping basket which she is still using.

The only thing I can think of is that I've taken delivery of some new furniture recently and I'm wondering if this is giving a scent off?

Feliway doesn't work on her.

Other than the reduced energy and the peeing, no other change in her behaviour.

She is peeing on plastic bags, clothes left on the floor and on any cardboard left on the floor.

One other change: she used to pee in the box facing out (It's covered). She's now doing it facing in and peeing right up against the side of the box?

Any suggestions, please? I'm worried it's going to escalate to her peeing in the bed or on carpets.

She's about 8 or 9 years old.

Thank you.

thecatneuterer Mon 24-Aug-15 11:21:17

Oh dear. I'm afraid I have no suggestions but you have my sympathy.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 25-Aug-15 18:44:45

Thank you! She's been back to the vet this morning as a blood clot came out with urine last night. Waiting on the results of a sterile urine sample (which I wish they'd just taken and analysed last week).

MrsBertMacklin Mon 07-Sep-15 15:43:36

Just a quick update on this, BertCat's UTI is actually a symptom of an E-Coli infection!

So she's off the antibiotics she was on as apparently most drugs are useless against this and will be on a new treatment for tomorrow, for possibly 2+ weeks.

Thanking my stars that I have pet insurance, as we're looking at >£500 now for the treatments.

Hoping the vet can tell me what caused it and if it's going to be a recurring thing when I see them tomorrow, Google is no help...

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 07-Sep-15 15:47:23

E-Coli not as uncommon in female cats as it is in male cats. Usual cause is faecal contamination of vulva.
I would run bloods to check kidney function and for diabetes to check no systemic cause of repeat infections. If clear it maybe worth considering a special diet to acidity the urine and make if difficult for the e.coli to grow.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 07-Sep-15 16:14:05

Poor Bert cat, she must feel rotten. Is she an inpatient?.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 07-Sep-15 19:19:34

Thanks Lonecat, good to know what to expect.

Fluffy, BertCat is completely unaware, she's been on Metacam, which she loves and seems to be keeping symptoms at bay.

No mention of her being an inpatient, just have to pick up new meds (praying they're not capsules).

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 07-Sep-15 19:55:21

They don't need to eat the outer capsule just open up and tip all powder out (pinch ends to make sure you get it all) and mix in something tasty. This is true for every single capsule in the veterinary market.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 07-Sep-15 20:18:44

Ha, I was going to say just break it open. I've never even attempted to give ours a tablet.

Good to know it's all capsules.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 07-Sep-15 21:42:33

That's why I don't want capsules: BertCat only eats dry food. When I tried mixing powder with yoghurt or malt paste, the only two wet things she will eat, she instantly noticed and refused.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 08-Sep-15 07:38:06

Ask if it's available as a liquid suspension, it's much more expensive but if she wont take a capsule what can you do?.

There's always something with these cats isn't there? it's never straightforward with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now