Talk

Advanced search

Kittens coming! What do we need!

(9 Posts)
KnockMeDown Sun 16-Aug-15 21:48:05

So, we've just taken the decision to take on two gorgeous tabby kittens. They will be ready to bring home in one month, so we have some time to prepare. So, what do I need?

I know about the basics - beds, bowls, scratching posts, litter tray. However, I have on the PDSA website, that cats shouldn't share any of these items. Is this really the case? Can they really not share a litter tray or scratching post?

Also, what is the general consensus re cat beds? Are they actually used? I thought cats just slept where they wanted grin

I also had an idea of taking a blanket to where the kittens are now, so that they can get used to it, and so that it takes on the scent of the kittens and their litter mates, and so that they will have something familiar when they eventually come home with us. Would this work?

Would appreciate any advice at all!!!

Wolfiefan Sun 16-Aug-15 21:51:27

If you have just one litter tray you might find accidents round the house. My two shared a litter tray but it was cleaned lots and they were mother and son.
Don't put food near litter tray.
Remember cat carrier to bring them home.

WalfordEast Sun 16-Aug-15 22:01:21

I've had two cats in the past that have shared litter trays. In fact I've had cats in the past that were older and outside cats, but still shared the litter tray with the kitten hmm. Just make sure it's a way from food and somewhere with a bit of "privacy".

I have a cat who will sleep on a cat bed- but he also sleeps on the sofa, the bed, on the toilet (yes- really hmm). It was actually brought for another cat that didn't use it and I just found him curled up on it in the corner of the utility room one day and got it out for him. Buy one if you want, but he's the first cat I've had who sleeps on one. Never heard that cats can't share scratching posts- again; I've had two cats in the past who have had scratching posts and shared and I won't even mention the fact that the little shits prefer to scratch your sofa to bits. Always had separate food and water bowls for the cats- you can get cat bowls that are 2 in 1 so one half for water and the other for food which are great and it's one less thing to trip over

Don't bother buying fancy kitten toys- scrunched up newspaper is fine, and I've found in the past that mine go mad for it.

Lots of love and affection and they will soon be fine. But make sure you give them the first day or so to settle in without too much fuss!! And of course yes a cat carriers to bring them home/trips to the vet

WalfordEast Sun 16-Aug-15 22:02:23

Also- ask who you are getting them from what type of litter they use and what kitten food they eat before you go out and buy something they won't use!

KnockMeDown Sun 16-Aug-15 22:38:35

Thanks all for the tips smile

I have another question - do cats recognise their names and answer to them, or are they just for our benefit?

cozietoesie Sun 16-Aug-15 22:47:33

They know words and tones of voice in my experience - so Yes, I think they do recognize their names.

WalfordEast Sun 16-Aug-15 22:49:01

Agree with cozie. Mine knows when he's in trouble and when I'm calling him over for a cuddle/his dinner.

Wolfiefan Sun 16-Aug-15 22:49:27

They won't know their names straight away. They will learn. Mine also came to a special whistle!

cozietoesie Sun 16-Aug-15 23:01:23

Ah Yes - the whistle. Twoago went outside and he had a special two-toned 'calling whistle' that we used in the garden to call him back home. One day, I heard this in the garden, and went to the back door and shouted 'It's OK - he's in asleep'. Two minutes later, the whistle again - and I went to the back door a second time and yelled 'It's OK - he's in asleep'. On the third whistle, I went outside properly and on enquiring why Twoago was being called, was told that he hadn't been.

I stood there for 5 minutes and soon heard that the garden 'Watch Blackbird' had obviously liked the two-toned whistle and had incorporated it into his evening medley. He was pitch perfect as well.

Twoago died and that Watch Blackbird died as well but younger blackbirds came along - and even years after, I could hear bits of Twoago's whistle incorporated in their songs. (Obviously partly-learned from their elders.) It was very moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now