Advanced search

Should my cat still be limping?

(16 Posts)
Twolefttoes Sat 15-Aug-15 18:34:14

Any advice gratefully received. My lovely cat came home Mon morning with a severe limp, not eating etc and v unhappy. Took her to the vet, they couldn't find anything wrong. Gave me anti inflammatories to give daily.

By wed foot was swollen and weeping, still limping, not eating much, took her back to the vet, they couldn't get a close look but presumed cat bite and gave her antibiotic injection and some stuff for me to daily bathe it in.

Had to stop the metacam as its making her sick. Foot has stopped weeping but doesn't look great, still not using it at all.

How long shall I leave it before we go back for the third time?

PeanutButterOnly Sat 15-Aug-15 21:24:07

I would go back Monday if you're not happy with the cat. God luck

PeanutButterOnly Sat 15-Aug-15 21:25:07

Sorry, I meant good luck!

Twolefttoes Sun 16-Aug-15 08:45:43

Thanks, just don't want to take her back for them to charge me £25 for them to just say its normal. Really thought she'd have stopped limping by now.

pilates Sun 16-Aug-15 08:54:11

Do you think it needs an x-ray?

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 16-Aug-15 08:56:26

Could you try phoning and asking their opinion about how it should be healing? They might be able to advise if it's worth taking her back in or not having seen her a couple of times.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 16-Aug-15 09:00:34

it has developed an abscess and she needs to go back. Preferably to a different vet!

TheoriginalLEM Sun 16-Aug-15 09:02:15

it will however be ok til tomorrow. keep the area clean with salt water. an out of hours visit will cost ££££.

Mimigolightly Sun 16-Aug-15 09:13:31

Take her back tomorrow to a different vet - the original one sounds bloody useless. If her foot is weeping, it's most likely an infected wound that she may either have something in or be a cat bite. The wound will need to be irrigated and antibiotics given. I would give the bill for this to your original vet as things would not have got this bad if they'd done their job properly in the first place.

cozietoesie Sun 16-Aug-15 11:11:34

I also think I'd change vets. I can't conceive of my current practice not being able to get a proper look so deciding to just give her some standard jabs and hope for the best. (And they're very cost-sensitive with their charges, particularly being - as we are - in a fairly mixed income area.)

Do you have an alternative vet in striking distance?

Twolefttoes Sun 16-Aug-15 18:41:51

Thanks all, sorry for the delay in replying, been out all day.

Yes I am pretty hacked off with the vets, especially from the first visit when they said there was nothing wrong, and I was surprised they didn't try harder to find the wound on Wed.

I am rubbish at confrontation but did query why I was paying again on wed, they said it was standard practice...i will definitely be changing vets after this is sorted out, I will call them tomorrow and fight my corner better, they should have looked properly last week.

Thank you.

cozietoesie Sun 16-Aug-15 19:55:13

Good luck to her - and let us know how she gets on. smile

Mimigolightly Tue 18-Aug-15 12:31:35

Any news on your girl, Twoleft ?

Twolefttoes Tue 18-Aug-15 14:50:01

I had booked to take her in tonight, but she was walking almost normally on it this morning and ate a proper meal for the first time in over a week. So I've cancelled it for now.

Thanks for asking smile

cozietoesie Tue 18-Aug-15 15:36:25

I think I'd still be looking at other vets, Two.

Twolefttoes Tue 18-Aug-15 15:42:54

Yes I will definitely change vets after this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: