Talk

Advanced search

Post op advice

(10 Posts)
Gettothechopper Fri 14-Aug-15 20:45:41

Hello all,

Have just picked old girl up from having her thyroid out. She seems fine in herself, a bit wobbly from the anaesthetic, but is eating and drinking and has enjoyed a cuddle, but her third eyelid on her right eye is almost half covering the eye. Any ideas?

Mimigolightly Fri 14-Aug-15 20:55:28

I don't think it's anything to worry about considering she's just had an op. Just give her lots of love and cuddles, keep an eye on her and see how she is in the morning.

Gettothechopper Fri 14-Aug-15 21:02:05

Thank you, that's what I thought. The vet is back open in the morning so can always take her back then. Enjoy your evening!

Mimigolightly Fri 14-Aug-15 21:30:39

I'm sure she'll be fine, Chopper. Let us know how she is tomorrow.

cozietoesie Sat 15-Aug-15 18:21:02

How is she today?

Gettothechopper Sat 15-Aug-15 18:53:35

Thanks for asking.

Still the same and she seemed uncomfortable this morning so I took her back to the vet. Vet v surprised she hadn't been sent home with pain meds so has given her some metacam which has helped.

She said the eye was likely the result of (hopefully temporary) nerve damage and should get better on its own. She doesn't seem bothered by it, she's basking in the sun in between eating tuna and scratching the furniture. It just looks a bit scary!

Mimigolightly Sat 15-Aug-15 19:22:13

So pleased that she's feeling better. I'm surprised too that they sent her home without pain relief.

Gettothechopper Sat 15-Aug-15 19:40:22

So was I, I queried it yesterday when I picked her up but they said she didn't need any (!)

cozietoesie Sat 15-Aug-15 19:48:08

I'm glad she's better but surprised also that the vet didn't issue some precautionary pain meds - even for use 'if needed'. (Mine always does, with appropriate instructions.)

Hope she improves. Is she due to go back to the vet soon?

Gettothechopper Sat 15-Aug-15 19:52:59

Yeah she's got a post-op on Tuesday evening, will take her Monday though if it doesn't improve.

I think, thanks to Google, she's got temporary facial nerve damage, she's got lots of the other symptoms. Her tongue on one side is slightly droopy too and she doesn't seem to realise when she's got food round her mouth.

She's currently asleep in my PJ drawer. Haven't the heart to move her while she's feeling under the weather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now