Talk

Advanced search

Fattening up my skinny cat

(15 Posts)
antimatter Thu 13-Aug-15 21:46:36

Since the op to neuter het she's lost lots of weight. She is nearly 5.
I had her tested and vet is saing and there's nothing wrong with her. I am on a mission to make her put back her lost weight.
I don't mind buying wet food but which one would you recomend?
I am also going to experiment with making small portions of liver pate and cook fresh or frozen fish.

I would like to hear from anyone who's feeding their cat with home made food. At this stage it needs to be very high in calories to make up for lost weight. What fats are recommended for grown up cars to eat?

She hasn't got anemia or urinal tract/kidney infection. She just went off her (dry,3 varietues of James Wellbeloved and Costco own) food that she previously really liked.

cozietoesie Thu 13-Aug-15 22:22:52

Has the vet said she's underweight, anti ?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 13-Aug-15 22:24:09

Cat nutrition is very complex as they can not two amino acids which are found in liver, but if you feed too much liver cats can get a condition called hypervitaminosis D.
I would either feed a commercially prepared raw diet or a good quality grain free commercial diet in the kitten food variety. She actually needs high levels of good quality protein to regain her weight rather than fat. High levels of fat in cat's duet can lead to pancreatitis.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 13-Aug-15 22:24:35

That would be can not make two amino acids.

antimatter Fri 14-Aug-15 06:17:16

Yes, she is very underweight. She was 4kg on the day of her op. She is 2.6 now. Vet confirmed this is greatest concern now having confirmed that there's nothing wrong with her ,blood and urine test were OK, in fact blood test showed perfect count. She was operated on nearly 3 months ago and has been loosing weight slowly.
She has need for food but stops after few morsels.
The most she ate was yesterday - nearly a full can of Hills Prescription Diet a/d critical care which is given to dogs or cats in recovery after operations.
Vet said to give up to 2 cans of this food and try others such as chicken and fish to see if she will put weight on.
She never liked raw food and walked away from raw herring I was preparing yesterday but I will try. I bought some pie mix and frozen fish for her.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 14-Aug-15 06:55:00

Has your cat been checked for exocrine pancreatitis insufficiency not common, but gives all these symptoms. The car is not producing digestive enzymes so frankly you can feed them what you like they won't out in weight.
It is a special test that has to be sent to an outside lab and takes several days.

BeautifulBatman Fri 14-Aug-15 06:58:04

Food wise, try good quality kitten food.

bonzo77 Fri 14-Aug-15 07:29:13

My skinny cat will not eat when stressed. She lost weight after we moved house. It turned out that she ate better at night once we were all in bed, so I give her a huge bowl of biscuits and another of wet food BF she eats the lot over the course of the night.

itsraininginbaltimore Fri 14-Aug-15 07:45:39

It may be nothing to do with her op though, that might be a red herring that's stopping you from finding the real cause. My friend's cat lost weight noticeably over a period of a couple of months, vet said nothing wrong, then she became lethargic and poorly, vet put her on ABs, she rallied round for a couple of weeks, but was still losing weight. Then she became very poorly again, quite suddenly, was very listless, couldn't hold herself up etc, eventually collapsed and was rushed to the vet where she was diagnosed with acute kidney failure and put to sleep. She was only eight.

It may have been natural causes or it may be that some lovely person was putting out food or water laced with anti freeze or something, but without wishing to scare you don't assume it's because of her spaying op.

antimatter Fri 14-Aug-15 20:25:45

She was a house cat up until 4 weeks ago. She started getting skinny before that so I am hoping is not her eating anything bad.

Today she carried on eating leftover from yesterday and was very keen on her food albeit she is a slow eater. She is very easily stressed and I thought that perhaps her lack of appetite was due to that.
I agreed with the vet to go and weight her next week after watching her what she eats and making sure she gets as you all confirmed lots of proteins.
Liver has to wait for me to make it into pate on Sunday (for humans grin )

I wil lcheck kitten food and for now bought little portions of Encore (she had 1/2 yesterday and a bit today), it has just 5% of rice - the rest is stick and meat (chicken and duck). Fingers crossed she will put some weight on. She is less restless today, more content in herself - I think she was hungry but didn't fancy dry food!

Wolfiefan Fri 14-Aug-15 20:27:26

Has the vet checked thyroid?

cozietoesie Fri 14-Aug-15 20:55:11

anti

The reason I asked that was that I couldn't understand how a vet could let a cat out of their surgery like that without at least proposing some way forward other than 'try her with x food......'. (And that's a fairly dramatic weight loss - if my own old boy dropped that amount of weight in the same time, his vet would be adopting fairly hushed tones, I'm sure.)

Anyway, Lone - who is an experienced vet herself by the way - has given you a suggestion. Is your girl insured?

antimatter Sat 15-Aug-15 23:57:23

She isn't insured but I had no health issues with her for 5 years I had her.
I don't think her thyroid was checked.
Vet's suggestion was to give her that high protein food she's been eating and other high protein food such as chicken and fish.
I am going to take her to the vets again this week to see if she put any weight on.
I canbsee she is eating wet food I am offering. She had another pouch of tuna and whitebait and went for another nibble of dry food.
I hope tasty food is making her to want to eat even more of it tomorrow.
It is really strange that the operation was such turning point. My other girl was operated on at the same time and is eating well and in fact put on a lot of weight so I need to restrict her access to food.

Wolfiefan Sun 16-Aug-15 00:00:11

My older girl lost loads of weight due to thyroid issue.
But she was old.
This is such a dramatic weight loss. I'd want a diagnosis rather than just trying to feed her up

antimatter Sun 16-Aug-15 00:00:32

I will also discuss checking for pancreatitis insufficiency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now