Talk

Advanced search

cat weeing in our bed

(7 Posts)
coffeeisnectar Wed 12-Aug-15 11:38:43

We have two cats. Boy is 13, independent and mainly outside on the roof. Girl cat is 9 and had her for a year. She's very timid and doesn't like going out but has been going out to toilet since her three week period of being kept in to get used to being here.

She spent months hiding behind teens bed and we put her food bowls in that room but a few months ago she started venturing round the house and has become a very affectionate cat who likes to sleep on me all the time. At night she snuggles in between me and dp and wakes me up by tapping with her paw for a cuddle.

Anyway last week we went away for seven day, teen away Mon to Friday so neighbour came in for the three days when no one was here, called me on Tuesday to say all was well, cat being cuddly and she spent time Sat with her.

Teen came home Friday and rang me to say cat had wound on her neck from scratching. I got home Saturday and walked into my room to the most awful stench. Poo on top of duvet and she had got under duvet and weed on the mattress.

Took cat straight to vet who said separation anxiety had caused the over grooming and gave her cream and shaved excess fur round the site. Also trimmed her claws.

Yesterday was the first day she was left at home (about five hours) alone and she had got under the duvet and weed on the bed again.

My mattress stinks, I've tried febreeze but that was crap and have now sprayed it with a solution of white vinegar and water and will sponge it off later. The duvet soaked in the bath overnight with soap and was washed this morning. It smells better.

I'm in despair. I've sprayed felliway round my bed and room and I've been regularly putting cat into the garden but she just comes back in. When she was first here she would not use the litter tray preferring the floor next to it instead.

We are now planning to stop her coming in our room when we aren't here but a)why is she doing this and b)will my mattress ever be ok or do I need a new one?

Sorry for long post

thecatneuterer Wed 12-Aug-15 11:41:29

Firstly, your mattress should be OK. It happened to me and I just soaked it with a warm water and bio washing liquid solution, and waited days for it to dry, and it was fine.

There are all sorts of reasons why it could have happened and the first question I need to know is how many litter trays you have and where they ar.

coffeeisnectar Wed 12-Aug-15 11:44:53

None. She won't use them and has been going in the garden for a year. We had two in two areas downstairs but she would go next to them. We used the same litter from the rescue place and it was just baffling. She had one open tray and one enclosed but just wouldn't use them. She went in the garden fine though. And has been since we got back except for yesterday when seemingly US going out was the opportunity to use my bed again.

thecatneuterer Wed 12-Aug-15 12:18:59

Cats are baffling aren't they! I think I would provide a tray again - just in case. Sometimes if cats don't feel able to go outside for whatever reason (I presume you have a cat flap) then they do look for something they can scrunch up - and in the absence of a tray a duvet fits the bill.

coffeeisnectar Wed 12-Aug-15 12:21:36

I will get the tray back out. God my house stinks!!

fenneltea Wed 12-Aug-15 12:42:44

When I took in a stray cat he was very clingy once he bonded with me and would wee on the bed if I left him, I had to leave hi in a bedroom at first as I had other cats and once was aggressive with newcomers until he gets used.

I put plenty of trays in the room, used Feliway and Zylkene and put kitchen foil on top of the bed so he didn't like jumping up there and a waterproof mattress protector under that. I also used biological powder and surgical spirits or vodka to get rid of any lingering odours.
If your cat is used to going outside, then maybe try some soil rather than litter in the tray to start with?

Mine settled down quite quickly once he felt more secure, I hope yours is the same!

coffeeisnectar Wed 12-Aug-15 21:20:24

Thank you. I'm lying on a camp bed at the moment with cat climbing all over my head trying to settle, she is very affectionate to me and if your cat's behaviour was the same I think it's like a dirty protest at being left!

She's a lovely little thing but weeing under my duvet is not acceptable behaviour. Sleeping on my head I can deal with

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now