Talk

Advanced search

Is 6-month cat fostering a thing anywhere?

(2 Posts)
TheVeryHungryPreggo Fri 07-Aug-15 12:29:12

We have three cats, a baby, a toddler and a wholly unsuitable flat that we are desperately trying to sell for the last six months. We need to get out. Open plan with lots of glass finishing is not a good environment for small children. Unfortunately we missed out on buying our dream family home because we couldn't find a buyer ourselves and another one wouldn't accept an offer with a chain, but we dropped the price and are pushing ahead to try and sell anyway.

However if that won't work, we may have to rent out our flat and rent somewhere for a while. This will be really difficult if not impossible with three cats. Our cats are 7 and 5 years old, we have owned our homes since we got them, and it's never been a problem before.

I do not want to rehome them entirely. I don't trust anyone else to give them a forever home and take on any vet bills etc., especially as one has a rather destructive leather fetish and one has a peeing-on-stuff habit that we have now mostly knocked on the head but can still crop up on occasion if he's upset. Those are things that might be a problem longer-term, especially as they are indoor cats. And renting wouldn't be safe - I know they would damage carpets/wallpaper unless I could restrict their access to it (I don't currently have either!) and I don't want them to damage someone else's property, but I would have no way to stop them while I'm out. Unless I lock them in a bathroom or kitchen which I obviously don't want to do.

I'd put them in a cattery but catteries are impersonal and very expensive for three cats, and I'm not happy doing that for a longer term.

Ideally I'd love to find someone within an hour's drive to mind them for 3 to 6 months until I can find somewhere to house them safely and happily again. Is this a thing anywhere? A service someone provides? How would I find it? Or am I stuck having to find a home for all of us plus cats and acknowledging that there will probably be some fees for damages at the end of the term?

tabulahrasa Fri 07-Aug-15 15:36:05

Home boarding might work for you...I don't think it's any cheaper than a cattery though, but that's where someone looks after pets in their home rather than in pens like a cattery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now