Moving with our madam

(7 Posts)
HonniBee Thu 06-Aug-15 10:55:05

Just wondering what you would do?

We're moving in a couple of weeks, from a flat to a house. KittenCat is going to be very happy as she will have her very own garden in a rural setting, with a cat flap and everything (can't wait for her to stop whining to be let out all the time have a bit of independence)

We are going to use a packing and removal service for the move. Do we:

1. Leave her in the flat which she is comfortable in while the packers are in
2. Move her to the new house early (we will be doing some decorating) which means she will only have to deal with the movers moving stuff in
3. Put her in a cattery for a couple of days so she can avoid moving day entirely.

Any experience or thoughts?

cozietoesie Thu 06-Aug-15 11:42:35

Has she ever been in a cattery before? And have you got a good one nearby?

cozietoesie Thu 06-Aug-15 11:49:34

PS - I thought I'd mention that it's not the best time of year to make a short notice reservation at a cattery. Not only does she have to have had all her jabs etc timeously but it's also holiday season so most catteries will be fully booked - subject to late cancellations and any 'pull' that you might have.

HonniBee Thu 06-Aug-15 12:11:20

Ah! Good point about the jabs etc. though I do believe we're up to date.

She hasn't been to a cattery for ages. We have a lovely local company that come to our house to feed her when we're away at the moment. She's been once before ages ago. Also, she's a rescue and spent 6 months at the centre we adopted her from, so she has experience of being caged. In fact, that might make me feel worse? I don't want her to feel like we've abandoned her.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 06-Aug-15 12:16:54

I would lock her in a room until you are ready to go... removals leave doors open and cats escape .. then the same the other end. I gave mine to my friend the day before and she came back once we moved.

cozietoesie Thu 06-Aug-15 12:45:22

I'd be tempted to go fo the cattery in your case - if you can get her in to a good one, which might be problematic at this stage. It sounds as if you're going to be real distracted for a few days and having to keep certain doors shut all the time and having strange people around and lots of thuds (no crashes I hope!) might be a lot for her to take.

Not something I would do myself but then my boys are peculiar and don't like to be separated at all from me. You know your own cat best.

Lots of luck.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 06-Aug-15 15:45:29

I'd go for cattery, our last move was more stressful because the cat kept breaking out of rooms I'd locked him in. He ended up in the shed, one paw pushing through the top of the door.

Your new house sounds like cat heaven.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now