Talk

Advanced search

There's an injured rat on my patio...

(14 Posts)
goshdarnit Wed 05-Aug-15 09:13:33

My boy cat has obviously been busy overnight and brought me a present. hmm
I feed my cats outside, and just noticed a juvenile rat eating the cat food, after an initial panic, I went to scare it off, and noticed it can only walk with a limp, in circles. It's obviously in pain, and I can see where its crawled off to, and could get it if really, really pushed.
Boy cat has buggered off, leaving my girl cat staring daftly in the rats general direction, but that's probably as much as she will do...
So, how do i despatch a rat?!? YUCK!!! envy <vomit emoticon

theconstantvacuumer Wed 05-Aug-15 09:14:46

Spade to the head?

PestoSwimissimos Wed 05-Aug-15 09:17:52

Put it under an old cloth or something first, then a spade or a heavy brick. Be quick, kinder to put it out of its misery and don't overthink it.

Good luck

goshdarnit Wed 05-Aug-15 09:19:50

I am already overthinking it!! grin
I've tried calling boy cat back, but he's probably eating breakfast in someone else's house...

PestoSwimissimos Wed 05-Aug-15 09:23:51

I don't expect your cat will want any more to do with it now he's done his duty and left you a present!

We tried sending PestoCat into DD1's bedroom to catch the mouse he'd brought in for her, but he wasn't interested. Took DD & me 1/2 hour at 12.30am to finally capture it in an old icecream tub!!

goshdarnit Wed 05-Aug-15 09:38:56

Oh, God! I've done it envy
Found a thick plank of wood in the garage (3" thick) chucked a old tea towel over rat, then a bin bag, the dropped plank on it three times. I've left the plank on it for now, and will bin the lot later.
I feel bad, but I know it is for the best. sad
but;
BLEUGH!!!

PestoSwimissimos Wed 05-Aug-15 10:24:46

Well done!

Have a brew

You deserve it smile

cozietoesie Wed 05-Aug-15 10:51:52

Well done. You did the quickest thing for it.

goshdarnit Wed 05-Aug-15 12:42:12

There must be a nest. He's just brought home another one. Also alive... ffs.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Aug-15 12:48:16

Oh.

Best check out the garden/foundations/rubbish bins etc for good rat living conditions then. (Most, if not all, houses in Britain have rats living in them/nearby so it's not a surprise unfortunately.)

PestoSwimissimos Wed 05-Aug-15 13:41:06

Get some rat poison from your local garden centre. The blue corn-like stuff you leave it down in a little tray. That works here.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Aug-15 13:46:04

Uh, Pesto - what happens if a cat/other animal eats it? Or ingests tasty portions of a rodent that themselves has eaten it and is not yet dead?

PestoSwimissimos Wed 05-Aug-15 13:48:55

It's just dry blue grains, cats aren't interested in it. Just rodents.

PestoSwimissimos Wed 05-Aug-15 13:50:42

Sorry Cozie, dunno about ingesting not-quite-dead vermin. Just we have used it to good effect & no longer have the problem. All the local cats still intact too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now