Talk

Advanced search

do cats fall out with each other?

(4 Posts)
Possiblynot Sun 02-Aug-15 20:54:08

I have two girl cats, mum and daughter. The mum was only approx 8 months when she had 2 kittens (unfortunately 1 died)

Usually they are inseparable. Always washing each other, playing, and sleeping together.

However at 3am this morning, I was woken up with growling, yowling and hissing at each other. Fur was puffed up too.

They were in my bedroom doorway. Mum would not let daughter past her and daughter was voicing her own opinion.

Mum looked completely spooked out and daughter looked confused. When I tried to calm mum down she growled at me and flattened herself against the floor so I left her alone.

The growling went on all night. In the morning mum would not let daughter come downstairs to eat her breakfast. In the end I moved daughters food bowl upstairs.

They seem a little more settled now, but mum will not let daughter come near me.

I have had my parents stay for a couple of days, so could this have upset things? It's not the first time my parents have stayed for a few days, but this is the only thing I can think that may have upset them.

Mum doesn't appear to be in pain or ill. She has used the litter tray, and all appears normal. She has let me this evening to prod her tummy, feel her feet and her ears don't feel hot. But she has not left my side all day.

Any ideas? Just a freaked out mum? How long should I give it to calm down? Really hoping they let me sleep to tonight!

(They are indoor cats)

blueemerald Sun 02-Aug-15 20:59:38

It's a long shot but is there any chance you could be pregnant or unwell? Sometimes cats can "tell".... apparently.

Possiblynot Sun 02-Aug-15 21:58:46

Definately not pregnant, but have been a little down lately. Life has decided to kick me hard! Didnt think of that!

I did wonder if it was because my dad had been digging up a load of old gravel so maybe he brought in a different cat scent in with him.

Heres hoping its just a fleeting mad moment!

BagelwithButter Sun 02-Aug-15 22:43:06

A completely non-expert here but ... Wondered if mum or daughter could have possibly got out and have been impregnated?

Or is it a bit of teenage rebellion on the daughter's part that annoyed the mum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now