Talk

Advanced search

Older Cats and kittens

(62 Posts)
LavenderRain Sun 02-Aug-15 08:03:09

Hi. Does anyone have any positive stories about introducing a kitten into a home where an older cat lives?
We are on the verge of getting a kitten but im now really worried what effect it will have on my lovely 10 year old boy.
Am I being cruel? Will they hate each other? Im so torn......

cyclerunmum Sun 02-Aug-15 08:17:29

Hi, I am in this exact situation now, and have been searching for information too. I have a 14 year old male cat, and yesterday have 'fostered' a kitten found abandoned near us, which appears to be 6 to 8 weeks old. We also have a 10 year old dog.

The dog is fine with it, the kitten is not phased by either the dog or older cat, but my older cat hissed and growled at the kitten when face to face. From what I have read this is normal and we should keep them apart for a few days getting them used to each other's noise and smell etc, then gradually introduce in short bursts. Our old boy hissed at DH last night, which has really unsettled us as he is the most wonderful loving cat usually and I really can't risk upsetting him permanently. This morning though he is back to his usual loving self, and I am keeping them apart for now.

I don't know if it will work out, but if things are not good in a few days we will have to find a new owner for kitten sad

I hope not as this little kitten needs a home, is covered in ticks, starving hungry and not cared for (which we are now sorting out), and I have always wanted a kitten!

Sorry if it doesn't answer your question, but I am keeping my fingers crossed things work out, as I understand they usually do, but it can take time.

LavenderRain Sun 02-Aug-15 08:21:16

Thanks cycle
Its so hard isnt it. My older cat is so placid and loving, I would hate to upset him, hes my baby smile
But this kitten needs a home and I would love to help........

FernGullysWoollyPully Sun 02-Aug-15 08:22:38

I've had my Charlie bear since October last year, so was a rescue job, took her in from my mums workplace, she was starving and weak and after advertising everywhere kept her on. Very much the boss she was until we took in little Beans a few weeks ago. He was another rescue. Feral kitten from a stable. Being rescues, We don't know how old either of them really are. We assume that Charlie is a year old maybe 2, Beans is possibly about 12/14 weeks old.

I'll be honest. She hated him. Wouldn't talk to me for days, hissed at me every time I walked past her never mind a stroke. Wouldn't come down from the kitchen cupboards. I felt so guilty. But she's come round and is a lot better. He knows she's the boss, it's still a work in progress but she will actually play with him now. Sometimes.

It's slowly slowly catchy monkey with them. When Beans first arrived we kept him separate. Charlie bear is allowed to go wherever she likes but Beans is restricted so that she still has her own space.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 02-Aug-15 08:35:47

Cyclerunmum It will take weeks to adapt to each other though. A few days is nothing to a sulking cat.

I'm fairly meh about hissing off our cat, they all know sailor language.

chockbic Sun 02-Aug-15 12:20:59

We had this dilemma, then decided not to get a kitten. Our girl was a similar age, when we considered getting another. She did absolutely hate other cats though lol. Does your boy get on with strange felines?

Elliptic5 Sun 02-Aug-15 12:31:33

I've found introducing a kitten is easier than trying to introduce another older cat. We are now 7 weeks in with introducing a 3 year old to a 10 year old, both females, and it is only now that I can get them anywhere near one another.

LavenderRain Sun 02-Aug-15 12:53:38

Oh dear sad it's not sounding too positive is it?!
chockbic he will 'see off' any other cats that come into the garden, he lets them sit there a while, they chases them away hmm

We always had 2 or 3 cats at home when I was young, I don't remember any problems. I think dad used to just chuck the new kitten in with the others and let them get on with it!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 02-Aug-15 12:56:06

ASBO won't even let them stay a while. He kicks off if they walk past the house.

RubbishMantra Sun 02-Aug-15 13:39:38

MCat used to be quite fey around other cats, he used to flirt with the male Bengal over the road in our last house. It was a different matter when we got little Monsieur. I daren't leave them alone together because I thought MCat would kill him. Oh, and the sulking, hissing and swearing. Monsieur's got a robust personality though, and KOKO trying to befriend MCat. Now they're rarely apart, proper bro's! grin

LavenderRain Mon 03-Aug-15 19:44:31

Well we have a new addition! A little girl, as yet un named,

She is currently in the spare room exploring new beds and toys. Old boy has sniffed under the door and walked away. I've been advised to keep them apart for a few days and take it slowly

Hopefully patience will pay off smile

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 03-Aug-15 19:55:54

She is a beautiful little thing. How old is she?.

LavenderRain Mon 03-Aug-15 20:42:44

Thanks. She is 9 weeks

cyclerunmum Tue 04-Aug-15 06:55:56

Oh Lavender, she is beautiful, and looks almost exactly like our kitten! Have you decided on a name yet? I am worrying about every little thing mine does at the moment!

On a positive note, my Oldcat is at this moment sitting on my lap purring, whilst kitten is asleep on my DD about 4 feet away! I have been trying to keep them apart, but Oldcat seems to be spending more time near her, with no hissing etc, so appears to not mind her being here. I am sure this will change when she starts playing more and annoying him, but I am amazed how chilled he seems. Hope your old boy takes to the new little girl asap.

LavenderRain Tue 04-Aug-15 09:25:41

Thanks cyclerun
I spoilt old boy with some tuna last night, he slept on my bed all night with kitten in the spare room,
Old boy does seem abit wary this morning, they haven't met yet but he can hear kitten mewing, I may introduce them today shock <<<scared face!!

DS is naming her when he comes home on Thursday

cyclerunmum Tue 04-Aug-15 10:20:45

Good luck with the meeting :D

Just hope DS's ideas for names are better than my DD(7yrs) 'Loomband' mmm....

LavenderRain Tue 04-Aug-15 12:16:59

Its more likely to be Darth Vader!
over my dead body

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 04-Aug-15 12:36:15

We have a very old girl, 18, we brought home a very young pregnant adult that we found lying in the road. tried to find out who her owner was but without success. 1 year on and old girl and mum cat eye each other up from a distance but kittens after a few hisses from old girl mainly I think to tell them not to be so bouncy around her treat our old girl like their favourite auntie. They lie on the beds together and "chat" to each other. It has definitely given old girl a new lease of life. She even goes outside with them and they walk at her pace.

LavenderRain Tue 04-Aug-15 14:56:12

Aah oliversmum thats cute.
Ive still not introduced old boy to the kitten <<coward>>
Old boy has been snoozing on the sun all day so I dont want to disturb him. He can hear the vocal bloody noisy kitty tho!

cozietoesie Tue 04-Aug-15 17:23:28

That sounds a little like the sort of 'studied ignoring' (or words to that effect) that another poster referred to recently with regard to their cat. He'll know perfectly well that she's around so I don't think it's a bad sign.

smile

LavenderRain Wed 05-Aug-15 08:39:56

Well we had a formal introduction. Old boy had Dreamies first grin
I let kitty loose she really is bonkers and she came face to face with old boy. They touched noses, kitty's back arched and she ran away!
Old boy just sits and stares at her and thinks who the fuck is this in my house
Kitty now has the run of the house and old boy is just mooching around watching kitty like a hawk,
No hissing has taken place yet
This all seems good so far, yes??

StrumpersPlunkett Wed 05-Aug-15 08:48:03

Oh I have read this thread with interest.
We have 8 week old twin boys coming to live with us on Sunday so concerned about our 4 year old lady. Fingers crossed!!

LavenderRain Wed 05-Aug-15 08:57:46

How exciting strumpers
I think two kittens will probably be better as they will have each other to play with and won't take much notice of 4 year old,
Maybe I should have got 2 kittens!! Our kitty meows a lot until she is picked up, I think she misses her mum and sisters,

I must say I am cautiously happy about how the meeting went. Old boy seems to be playing it cool for the time being,
Let us know how your meeting goes, good luck!

cyclerunmum Wed 05-Aug-15 13:44:50

That does sound promising Lavender. My old boy keeps coming near kitten, and doesn't do anything, but now kitten seems to want to get to know him and is following him round! He had another hiss at her yesterday after she followed him, but one hiss is about as aggressive as it's got so far.

It's a shame because you can see kitten is pleased to see him, and curious, but the love is all one way at the moment grin

LavenderRain Wed 05-Aug-15 13:59:41

They are funny arnt they?! Old boy is currently asleep on my lap and kitty has just been to the vet for vaccinations is asleep upstairs grin

The vet mentioned Feliway diffuser for the house, to calm the cats down,
Has anyone used this? I would use it if it helps but it's £28 so don't want to waste my money unnecessarily,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now