Talk

Advanced search

New cats not eatings

(16 Posts)
Snooks14 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:14:39

We got two cats from the Cats Protection League two weeks ago - two gorgeous boys we have called Jake and Finn, they are settling in really well apart from really not eating much. Whenever I go to put food out they are really keen but then when the bowls go down they have a bit of a sniff and then walk away! They maybe then go back and have a couple of mouthfuls but that is it. I am feeding them on the food they had in their foster home and I have also tried other brands with the same result. If we offer treats they go crazy for them and today out of desperation I offered some chopped up cooked chicken and they loved that but as soon as I tried to mix it in with normal cat food they are not interested - really starting to worry me - anyone got any ideas or can this still be just them settling in. We know from their background that they were left on their own for the majority of the time with someone just popping in to check on them. Just want happy boys.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jul-15 20:19:47

It sounds as if they don't like what you're offering them is all. (Some cats can be right fusspots once they're secure.) What are you giving them?

(I know you're giving them what they had at the foster home but they may have gone off it. It happens.)

Are they drinking their water OK and using their trays?

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jul-15 20:21:53

PS - how long were they fostered for and do you know anything about their history before?

Snooks14 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:26:38

At the moment I'm feeding them felix kitten food and also I've tried whiskas as well, I'm also offering dry food - both go cat and Iams - as I've said they will have a few mouthfuls but not what I would call a really good proper feed. They were adopted as kittens by a couple of at some time split up, the husband kept them but he worked away so for some time they were basically in a house themselves with just someone checking on them. I did also try some Sheba tonight and that also got a sniff and walk away as well.

Snooks14 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:27:49

Also the litter tray is getting used but not that often and I have seen both of them drinking water.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jul-15 20:32:12

Ah - so they're only young cats? (And they seem to have had a bit of a difficult time before they came to you.)

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jul-15 20:36:06

By the way - does there appear to be a dominant one eg is it always the same one who sniffs the food and walks away first?

Snooks14 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:49:06

They are just a year old and to be honest I wouldn't say one of them is more dominant - Jake the big guy does seem to eat a little bit more than Finn

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jul-15 21:13:36

I'm thinking a little loosely here - and other posters will come in and comment I'm sure - but I'm just wondering whether youve possibly got some behavioural issues to do with their past treatment? I'm thinking that if they were litter mates and then put in a household where their treatment might have been more than a little haphazard, that they might be relying on each other more than would be normal in two cats and with one taking the lead role. (And it showing particularly with food which might be a sensitive item.)

I'd try treating them a little more independently - at least two well-spaced litter trays (it should really be 3 - 'one per cat plus one') and try to put their (different) foodbowls and water bowls in different places. See if that helps over a few days.

You know that you can always get them to eat by giving chicken (presumably so delicious to them that they just can't resist it) but it's not nutritionally balanced as cat food is - and it might also pall fairly quickly.

It's only been two weeks which will seem an age to you but isn't always very long where you have a cat who might have some issues. (And you have two.) It doesn't sound to me, from what you've said, that they're unwell.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Jul-15 21:14:23

They've had such a chaotic start, it wouldnt hurt to spoil them a little with nice food.

Have you got a lidl? they do little pate in foil trays which goes down really well here.

Go Cat has additives in it banned in the usa so try small bags of high meat biscuits like applaws.

The poundshops near me have gourmet pate at 3 for a £1 but mine eats four trays a day so it's not economical.

Snooks14 Fri 31-Jul-15 10:30:12

Well when we got up this morning the Sheba had all been eaten! Felix got put down again this morning and they have both eaten a small amount of that. I know it is only two weeks and they probably are still settling down. I think I will just spoil them a little bit just now with the good stuff and actual chicken but also keep mixing it with the usual stuff and hopefully their appetites will improve.

cozietoesie Fri 31-Jul-15 10:33:55

Good. smile They may just be settling so it would be awfully risky to get yourself under the paw with two very young cats. Maybe they're starting to gain confidence in you.

Let us know how they get on?

ShipwreckedAndComatose Fri 31-Jul-15 11:17:08

I'm glad they have started to eat more. Such a worry. it did remind me of this cartoon though!

cozietoesie Fri 31-Jul-15 12:42:11

grin

I know that experience.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 31-Jul-15 21:45:55

Sometimes asbo cat gets me to put food out and then goes out, he's making sure it's there for when he gets home.

Just avoid anything with cereals in it, it's just cheap filler.

sashh Sat 01-Aug-15 10:05:41

Mine demands I feed her first thing, looks at it, goes out, may come back, may not come back for a few hours.

Comes back, sniffs the food.

Watches me have tea with 'I'm starving' look on her face - she might be given a bite.

Eventually she will decide to eat her food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now