Talk

Advanced search

Hairless Cats..?

(9 Posts)
itsonlysubterfuge Tue 28-Jul-15 16:45:01

My DH and I are considering buying a cat. My DH really likes the idea of getting a cat and DD really loves cats. I'm not bothered, I just love pets in general, I have always had dogs growing up, but think it would be lovely to have a cat.

Our problem is, DH has ASD and absolutely hates fur/hair, human hair is difficult, but animal hair/fur is worse. He doesn't like it getting on his furniture/clothes because then he thinks it will get in his food. He also doesn't like it getting on his hands.

This has led me to Sphynx cats. Does anyone have any experience with hairless cats? Are they really hairless? What we are essentially looking for is absolutely minimal, ideally no shedding of hair.

We really think a pet would enrich our lives, especially DD (3).

Any ideas or suggestions would be brilliant.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 28-Jul-15 17:45:54

I am not sure that hairless cats are entirely hairless but they are pretty bald smile I think they are great, but they aren't exactly pretty. You will need to get it coats for the winter if it is to go outside and apply suncream in the winter as they are prone to skin cancer.

The rex breeds are low shedders as are siamese and the fur is very silky, maybe that would be less difficult for him.

Does he want a cat?

itsonlysubterfuge Tue 28-Jul-15 17:54:27

He would like a cat. He actually very loves and respects animals and thinks cats have great personalities, it's just the fur that gets in his way.

itsonlysubterfuge Tue 28-Jul-15 17:59:22

He actually really*

RubbishMantra Tue 28-Jul-15 18:37:55

I've got a Devon Rex, a semi-hair-less breed. His neck and tummy are bald, and the fur he has sheds very little. Sphynx cats are covered in down, so they feel like suede to the touch. Both are very people orientated cats and born entertainers.

Here's a gratuitous picture of my little lad.

FuzzyWizard Tue 28-Jul-15 18:42:15

Sphynx cats are sourt of peach-fuzzy but don't have any fur as such. If anyone in the household has allergies beware though. Because they don't have fur all their skin oils and dander disperse much more easily. I can't stroke one without a good dose of anti-histamines.

SacredHeart Tue 28-Jul-15 18:43:48

Sphynx cats have peachy down.

If your other ha is weirded out by mess though be aware they have dander (think like the waxy, greasy, skin stuff in your ears) which they will drop in your house - which he might be just as grossed out by.

They are great cats but reputable breeders sell them as indoor only (due to ped status and incompatibility with living outside). They are usually pretty nuts so require a lot of dedication and time - cat trees, play sessions daily, baths weekly. This isn't to put you off but a lot of people take them on without considering these factors.

They are hilarious to live with though, real characters.

itsonlysubterfuge Tue 28-Jul-15 19:49:02

Thank you so much for all your input. It's really given us a lot to think about. I think it would be a good idea for us to actually visit some of the cats we are thinking about buying and see how my husband feels when he pets them and sees them in an environment, rather than just pictures online.

My husband is disabled and I am his carer as well as looking after DD, so we have lots of time to spend and love to give.

We would like a cat that is comfortable as an indoor cat.

I really do appreciate all of your help!

tabulahrasa Thu 30-Jul-15 08:04:25

"The rex breeds are low shedders as are siamese and the fur is very silky, maybe that would be less difficult for him."

Siamese have a lot less fur than moggies and yes it is fine and silky...but it sticks to absolutely everything.

So if it's fur getting in things that's the issue, then it would still be a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now