Talk

Advanced search

Help, fleas!

(9 Posts)
Madratlady Sun 26-Jul-15 22:38:32

We've never had any issues with fleas before but we've moved to a new area which is quite heavily populated with cats and suddenly all 3 of ours have fleas (despite treating them late may and again 2 weeks ago with spot on stuff) I've only found a couple on each cat with a flea comb and I have no bites although dh has a few, so I think we caught it early. So this is what I'm doing about it, is there anything else I should be doing to get rid/keep them gone?

- Flea comb regularly
- have ordered flea collars
- will be going to the vets tomorrow to get some more flea treatment
- hoover daily

Do I need to get a spray or flea bombs for the house?

SaulGood Sun 26-Jul-15 22:42:34

Yes you need house spray from the vet as well as a decent flea treatment.

gamerchick Sun 26-Jul-15 22:45:57

Don't use flea collars ffs.

Take them to the vets to get weighed and get them the spot on flea and worm prescribed. Then go back for that spot on every 4 weeks for ever.

Don't miss a dose or they'll bring them in again.

BeautifulBatman Sun 26-Jul-15 22:48:41

Get Indorex to spray your house. ONLY use preparations from the vet - over the counter/supermarket flea products are at least ineffective, at worst dangerous. And vacuum everyday.

CharleyDavidson Sun 26-Jul-15 22:50:12

Flea collars usually repel rather than kill. We've never had any luck with the ones that are supposed to kill the fleas.

Spot on from the vets for the cat to kill the ones on them and any they pick up.

And a big, big, big can of indorex to treat the house. It's bullet proof stuff. We have a massive infestation for some random reason 4 years ago without having had any problems before then. We sprayed once and the job was done.

Have a look on amazon or online pet pharmacies to get it for a decent price.

Madratlady Sun 26-Jul-15 22:56:02

We always use treatments from the vets, I can only assume that the one we got from the new vets since we moved is somehow less effective as they were only done 2 weeks ago, it was different stuff to what we usually get though. Also vacuuming daily anyway before noticing the fleas so hopefully that will have helped. I'll be getting some indorex as well tomorrow then, I assume I need to spray it on everything and everywhere? Or maybe get dh to do it since I'm pregnant.

Rosesareblack Mon 27-Jul-15 00:58:33

Sometimes they will get fleas on them but they will die after biting the cat and ingesting the poison from the treatment. Unless you are using Frontline, which has apparently loss effectiveness in the last few years.

If you have a flea collar, don't use it on the cats, they can irritate skin and cause fur loss, some have had lethal results. Best place for the collar is in the bag/cylinder of the vac, to kill off what you have sucked up.

Indorex is good, or Acclaim. If you want to avoid chemicals take a look on Google for diatomaceous earth, it can be used on cats and in the house if you don't mind the dust for a couple of days.

Rosesareblack Mon 27-Jul-15 00:58:58

loss - lost

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 27-Jul-15 07:50:53

There is one effective safe flea collar on the market- seresto - it is a prescription only product. If you used something from the vet and you are still seeing fleas you need to treat the house with either Acclaim or Indorexx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now