Talk

Advanced search

Rescue Siamese

(9 Posts)
TWOBANANAS Fri 24-Jul-15 07:33:39

Hello

I've recently got the most adorable male rescue Siamese cat from a local rescue centre. His history was very vague, he was very thin, very very shy and had lost his fur around his neck where his collar would be. He has been with me now for 2 weeks, is very shy during the day but in the evening sits with me and watches tv, purrs like crazy and is just utterly adorable. He has started to groom himself and started to eat and drink in my presence (he wasn't showing signs of doing any of those things really in the beginning). He still however has a bald patch of skin around his neck where his collar should be. Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this and what I can do to make it better?

Also, his front teeth, fangs at the side are very large, is this the case with Siamese cats? I've not had his vets report through yet from the rescue centre, they are sending it on however I'm booking him in to the vets anyway just to make sure all is ok.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

RabbitsarenotHares Fri 24-Jul-15 10:02:47

I wonder if he'd been wearing a flea collar? My last cat was bought a flea collar by my sister, and the fur underneath was rubbed away and never grew back (I say "rubbed" - it was never too tight which suggests to me it was an allergy rather than being caused by friction). I took the collar off as soon as I noticed (have never liked cats in collars anyway) but, as I say, the fur there never regrew.

Of course, I'm not sure I should have told you that without the promise of photos!

He sounds gorgeous, btw. Give him a huge hug for me!

MagpieCursedTea Fri 24-Jul-15 10:10:51

One of my rescues had a bald neck when we got her, it's never grown back but doesn't look red or sore so it's not something to worry about.
Congratulations on your new addition!

cozietoesie Fri 24-Jul-15 10:21:11

It sounds as if he's bonding with you so well done! smile I wouldn't worry overly about the bald patch - it might grow back and it might not. He's only been with you for two weeks and they often have fairly slow-growing fur anyway. Neither would I worry overly about the fangs - they often have quite large ones which protrude a little from beneath their lips. Wait and see what the vet says on his check-up.

Do you know how old he is or anything about his history?

TWOBANANAS Fri 24-Jul-15 10:57:16

Thanks for the advice, nothing about his history other than the family of whoever owned him took him to a rescue centre as the person was too ill to look after him. They think he's 4 but not sure. I couldn't believe my luck when I clicked on the rescue centre site and saw him. He is so handsome and so affectionate. I've never known anything like it. He was so shy and nervous in the centre but I couldn't leave him and when he started to give me cuddles I was over the moon. I'm a little bit in love :-D

Liney15 Fri 24-Jul-15 11:58:55

If stressed our Asian/Burmese cross will pull chunks of fur out of her neck. Luckily she stopped doing it though her half brother did it for ages (& had to be rehomed from PIL due to it) Their fur took ages to grow back.

cozietoesie Fri 24-Jul-15 12:08:56

I'm not surprised that he was nervous and shy in the centre - for a Siamese, separation from their person can be the worst thing imaginable and it's also possible that he's had a long period of trying to make do if the person wasn't well and perhaps had people round to look after them. (And none of the Siamese boys I've had have much liked other cats either - I'd put it more strongly but it's still only lunchtime. wink)

It sounds as if he's re-bonded with you though so all is probably better in his world right now. Have him to the vet but hope for improvement over the next while.

Best of luck. smile

timtam23 Fri 24-Jul-15 14:24:23

Nothing helpful to add but he sounds absolutely lovely! Do you have any photos of him?

cozietoesie Tue 28-Jul-15 10:50:37

How is he doing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now