Talk

Advanced search

Cattery for 2 weeks

(14 Posts)
pilates Thu 23-Jul-15 09:14:32

Ok, we are due to go on holiday next week and I am starting to panic about my 10 month old kitten. We are all going to miss her so much. Having someone come in and look after her wasn't an option BTW. I'm going to take some of her toys and her blanket, but I just feel so guilty. Can anyone post some positive experiences with catteries they have used?

WixingMords Thu 23-Jul-15 09:27:13

Mines in a cattery right now. Not because I'm on holiday but because we're renovating at home. Which means I was able to go see him.

He was fine. Bit hissy at some of the other cats when he came out - the play area is surrounded by the pods try are in. He's rarely keen on other cat anyway.

Each pod is tall and has different levels. Litter tray at bottom. A sleeping level and another for food/water.

He seemed fine chirped at me the ignored me - pretty much how he acts at home.

sparkysparkysparky Thu 23-Jul-15 12:22:35

Only positive experiences here. Feliway spray for the journey. Stuff that smells of home in carrier. Preferred home food supplied to cattery. Our nervous old lady (now deceased ) did fine in her 'chalet that overlooks fountain and bird feeders'. I want to go there on holiday.

pilates Thu 23-Jul-15 12:27:36

Thanks to both of you.

We did a little research quite a few months ago and the cattery we have chosen has a good reputation. It's just me I suppose sad that's being a wimp.

sparkysparkysparky Thu 23-Jul-15 13:15:49

Totally understand and share your feelings of wimpiness.
Maybe send a couple of fave style toys with yours as well - ones for chasing and stalking.

WixingMords Thu 23-Jul-15 22:19:45

I feel shite about mine being in a cattery. Don't think he cares too much once he's settled.

chipshop Fri 24-Jul-15 12:23:31

I'm sending mine for two weeks at 10 months old in September. We did a trial for a few days and he seemed fine when he came home. Although the owner said she had never met a cat of our notoriously quiet breed to be quite so vocal! He gets a LOT of attention when he's at home so I think it's our fault. And there was me worrying he'd hide away. grin

TheMoonOnAStick15 Fri 24-Jul-15 12:36:35

We use a nice one for our two boys. I know they don't love it, but they are safe, well cared for and always come back having clearly been well looked after.

Cats hate anything to change at all. The alternative would be never to go away. I prefer them to be in a cattery if we go away for a week or two on holiday. I don't have anyone that would be able to come in and feed them for that long anyway, but I worry about them less knowing exactly where they are.

We also feel guilty when we take them to the cattery though. Cats are very good at making their owners feel guilty. One of ours always gets his revenge by doing a terrible stinky poo in his cat box in the car on the way. Every time hmm. He gets very nervous about going in the car anywhere.

But tbh we only have one holiday a year and they are spoilt rotten for the other 50 weeks of the year. We talk about them every day when we're away and miss them so much. When we collect them everyone is thrilled to see them again. But the cats just stalk off in disgust and have a bit of a sulk. Then later all is forgiven grin

Sparklingbrook Fri 24-Jul-15 12:43:50

Sparklingcat doesn't mind the cattery at all. I hate taking her but she's fine. When we pick her up she doesn't look particularly pleased we are back either.

if you ask the cattery they post updates of the cat's stay on FB. She always looks very content.

umiaisha Fri 24-Jul-15 19:28:34

We are on holiday and the moment and our girl will be in the cattery for just over 2 weeks. We left her for longer last year and she seemed a little bit clingier when we got her home but she always seems happy enough to go there - probably because I send her with a lot of treats. Think perhaps she enjoys the peace and quiet.

When I dropped her off a couple of days ago, the cattery owner showed me 2 cats who are staying for a year! Her owners are working in africa and felt they were too old to put them through the journey. They were in one of the large 'suites' there and seemed happy enough!

susiedaisy Fri 31-Jul-15 19:07:18

Just dropped my 15 month old boy off to cattery for very first time and cried all the way home hmm. He will be fine I know and it's only for 4 nights but I just feel wretched about it.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 31-Jul-15 20:55:12

Mine goes in over christmas. Dh thinks it's awful.

pilates Sat 01-Aug-15 22:40:53

Susiedaisy, glad not just me that cried.

I'm on holiday with my family in a wonderful place but I feel sad when I think of her. I e-mailed the cattery and they said she was quiet for the first two days but is now eating well and playing with her toys.

I just hope it doesn't change her personality.

susiedaisy Sun 02-Aug-15 09:08:12

I'm also on holiday but thinking of my boy wondering if he's ok. The cattery own said not to humanise them too much as they don't think the same as a small child would if you left them. Which makes sense but I still feel sad hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now