Talk

Advanced search

What should I be asking the vet?

(7 Posts)
WhatWouldFlopDo Wed 22-Jul-15 10:02:24

Our cat is 18, mostly a house cat but does potter in the back garden, sunbathing and eating grass. Over the last 12 months she has been starving all the time, drinking more, screaming miows and having loose stools (not fun as she is long haired). She is also getting frail and wobbly on her back legs.

We have been to the vets quite a lot about this, they have taken blood and said her kidneys are failing, but as she hasn't lost much weight she's not being medicated.

After waking up to poo smeared all over the house again this morning, I've booked an appointment today. The cat can't be happy like this, I'm not thrilled tbh.

What do I need to ask them? Is there any medication that can make her life happier or is this it? She's part of the furniture, we've had her since she was a tiny ball of fluff.

timtam23 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:14:08

Have they checked her thyroid? Sounds very much like the symptoms of overactive thyroid

WhatWouldFlopDo Wed 22-Jul-15 11:32:35

Thanks for replying, I believe they checked for thyroid problems when they did the blood test but they never mentioned a problem.

WhatWouldFlopDo Wed 22-Jul-15 13:27:54

Shameless bump for any more suggestions, I'm going in a bit

sparkysparkysparky Wed 22-Jul-15 13:51:39

Failing kidneys can be managed with a special diet. Our old girl did well on hills k/d for a while. Her quality of life deteriorated at the end but she had even started playing again for a while. There are other makes of diet food but we started on that and it suited her.
My test was "does she still enjoy being a cat?" Once she didn't I made the final kind but very sad decision.

timtam23 Wed 22-Jul-15 17:41:33

Also worth making sure that they checked for diabetes. If 12 months have passed and symptoms have changed maybe they could run tests again?

WhatWouldFlopDo Wed 22-Jul-15 21:14:32

We've been given antibiotics for the poo problem and steroids for I don't know what. Thyroid was 35 last time it was checked so pretty much in the middle of the scale. If these tablets don't work they may treat her for a thyroid problem anyway because of the symptoms, so we'll see what next week brings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now