Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a Maine Coon?

(36 Posts)

Our cat had to be puts last week, a total shock and very unexpected.

Since we're not planning to get another cat until after our holiday in September, I gave all his food to the local CPL lady. This is the first time we have been without a cat for 27 years so I was chatting to her about her 9 (!) cats.

She mentioned that they have a rescue Maine Coon cross who has just gone to them for rehoming when his health has been checked.

Would it be mad to have a look at him? I've only ever had standard moggies - although surely 4 mogs = one Maine Coon!

pts obviously, not puts! Damned predictive text!

SonceyD0g Wed 22-Jul-15 09:27:51

My neighbour has one its a cross too. She inherited it when her aunt died. She is quite loving to people but fights with other cats. She is huge and does quite a bit of damage when she gets hold of one. I have 3 cats and they have all had a run in with her. She also attacked our chickens one day but came out of that one the loser.
She needs a lot of grooming

BeautifulBatman Wed 22-Jul-15 09:28:27

I have one. He's beautiful. Gentle. Patient. Smart! They don't all grow into Giants. Although mine is a decent 8kg and people have mistaken him for a dog.... They don't eat much more than normal. I feed my lot Royal Canin dry food with wet food as a great. Pretty economical really. Obviously I'm biased but I say go for it! Or have a look at least smile

BeautifulBatman Wed 22-Jul-15 09:30:05

Mine has never had a fight. He's a lover, not a fighter. Neutered, obvs. He even likes my mother's dogs. And doesn't run for the hills at the sound of little people's voices.

WireCat Wed 22-Jul-15 09:32:56

I've got one. He's a cross.
He is big. He doesn't eat more than a "normal" cat.
He is soft a shit though. I have to keep him in if other cats are around as he gets picked on.

May I ask some daft questions?

Does your MC go outside - and does it use a cat flap?
Will a MC potentially live happily with a mad Springer?
How do you transport it - are there special MC cat baskets?
Are they easy to insure? The rescue is 7, I think, so he might be too old anyway.

(I said they were daft questions!)

I'm not worried about the cost of food, we had 4 cats for many years.

BeautifulBatman Wed 22-Jul-15 10:32:31

My boy is quite happy living with two lurchers. Maine Coons can be quite dog like in their behaviour. As long as your cat has an escape route away from the dog. I've never had a cat flap for any of my cats so can't answer that. They'll be easy enough to insure but like you say, the age might make a difference. Mine are 7 and insured but I've had them since kittens and always had the insurance. Pet plan, approx £25 for two.

spanky2 Wed 22-Jul-15 10:33:45

I got one from the rspca. He was never ill, and lived until he was 17. He mainly took care of himself. I did brush him. He was the most gentle, kind cat. He would have a conversation with him! Meeh meant yes. My parents also got a rescue Maine coon, who was also lovely. They are real 'people' cats. They love company. They were both very good with children. I would have another Maine coon in a heartbeat. I miss my Fluffy boy every day.

spanky2 Wed 22-Jul-15 10:34:15

You instead of him!

twinkletoedelephant Wed 22-Jul-15 10:34:29

Our last boy was Maine coon cross he made a chirpy noise.

He was the best cat I have ever known. He was massive though the children use to carry him about and his legs would be dragging along the floor ... But my God cat loved the kids... He would follow them around and come up every single bed time to sit and listen to their story

Big friendly giant he was :-)

The mad Springer is part of the reason why I was first interested in the MC. I'm not sure how a standard mog would stand up to him. He was brought up with cats, has had his ears shredded many times as a result of annoying one of our oldies. He's bouncy, soft and loving but a bit.... enthuastic

Fgs enthusiastic

SonceyD0g Wed 22-Jul-15 12:16:03

My neighbour has a cat flap and her mc uses it fine.

chdmum20 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:54:12

we have a male mc and our street love him ! hes known as lion boy smile

Thanks for all the reassurance. Not as daunting as I thought.

Next step then - persuade DH we need a huge cat, then hope he's still needing a home at the end of September.

QforCucumber Wed 22-Jul-15 14:56:16

a friend of mine has one, shes an 8 month old kitten and is bigger than her persian cat already - shes thorough main coon though, and she's bloody gorgeous. She lives with 2 other cats and a Staffy, steals the staffys bed but other than that they get on fine.

like PP have said they dont meow as such, more a chirrupy sound, and can definitely hold a weird conversation type thing with them.
DP wants one in time when our 2 are old and gone.

I have two MC. Still teenagers and very entertaining. Obie is a huge ginger git with a swagger to him, Ophie is smaller (girl) sweet, gentle with the loudest voice ever.. she calls for us if she can't see us!

Morph was my previous MC.. 22 pounds of utterly devoted love. Never met a cat before or since like him. Too big for a lap.. he used to take up your whole body, and slept with his paws round me at night. He died a year ago today aged 12 (cancer) and the hole he left will never be filled.

They are a fab breed. Mine go out, I do brush them.. when they moult they get matted but the rest of the year are fine. We don't have a cat flap as Obie wouldn't fit... he's about 19 pounds at 14 months old...!

cozietoesie Wed 22-Jul-15 19:08:30

<gently sings '25' to herself>

grin STOP it Cozie...

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:49:28

Ooh he's coming on nicely isn't he? Only 6lb to go.

MrsPeeee Wed 22-Jul-15 21:53:33

My boy is a MC cross - he's tiny though and smaller than a normal sized cat as he was the runt of the litter. Is soft as shit, completely friendly and loves a fuss. Go for it. And because this thread is rubbish without photos here's Rocky smile (he was quite young here)

cozietoesie Wed 22-Jul-15 21:59:57

Gorgeous boy, MrsP. He looks like a gentle soul. smile

BeautifulBatman Wed 22-Jul-15 22:09:15

Here's my boy - I love his fluffy snowboot feet smile

MrsPeeee Wed 22-Jul-15 22:14:33

Thanks cozie he is. And utterly thick!

BB we call his fluffy legs his ugg boots. And his fluffy chest his cravat <twee>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now