Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your female kittens/cats please

(25 Posts)
mughandle Sat 18-Jul-15 16:34:19

I posted on here back in January because sadly my lovely boy cat had to be put down.

He's still missed but we're about to home a new little kitten! It's a girl, a 9 weeks tortoise shell.

I've only ever had male cats. I wondered if there is a difference between the sexes in terms of behaviour, temperament etc?

It doesn't matter of course, I'm just interested!

Tinfoiled Sat 18-Jul-15 16:47:10

A female tortoiseshell?!? Batten down the hatches !! grin wink. I've never had a tortie but I think they have a reputation for being 'fiesty'. I've had a female tabby who was slightly nervy but very loving and currently have 2 black and white girls who I am still getting to know properly. One of the good things about female cats (IMO) is that they tend to have smaller territories and therefore don't go as far when they go out.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 18-Jul-15 16:52:31

I have three, and one boy.
They are all so different that it's hard to compare really, my tortie is generally the most aloof during the day, but the one who walks around on me to wake me up, my black and white likes visitors to the house, the all black is the one who demands attention.
My boy wanders around crying for cuddles like a big fat baby!
I adore them all.

bonzo77 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:58:40

My female cats have been slower to warm to us than the males. But have also quickly singled me out as the reliable source of food and made sure I'm adequately rewarded over anyone else with cuddles and gifts.

Hopelass Sat 18-Jul-15 16:59:48

I've grown up with cats and currently have a black 3yo girl. I'd definitely say boys are more cuddly and lazy affectionate whereas girls tend to be more feisty and independent. IME anyway smile I love them all though!

AnneElliott Sat 18-Jul-15 17:03:47

I have 3 girls and they are all lovely. 1 is rather aloof but the other 2 sleep in our bed and sit on your lap all the time. The little one even tries it when you go to the looshock

RubbishMantra Sat 18-Jul-15 17:12:10

I've found girl cats to be rather more aloof, and boy cats to be more needy. My old girl liked cuddles, but on her terms, and she would demand them, kneading, purring and sticking her bum in your face. When she'd had enough, there would be a bite, to announce end of patting session. Sometimes accompanied by a hiss. She loved men, not so much women.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Sat 18-Jul-15 17:15:35

I've just got a kitten, we have an older female cat and until last year we had her brother too.

He was a cuddly cat, older female is an independent lady who comes to you on her own terms. They were rescue cats we got at three so this is our first kitten!

She's been brilliant, has settled right in, cautiously with the older cat and enthusiastically with the dog. She bounces about lots and the kids are covered in accidental scratches from rescuing her from under the furniture, but they don't mind.

She licks me affectionately though which I have never experienced from a cat and is rather peculiar!

I have two girls, a Tortie and a black and white. Tortie is beautiful, gentle, dainty and aloof, she likes to be around humans and is very happy to be picked up and cuddled but never climbs onto laps. She walks away from any troublesome neighbour's cats and has never bitten or scratched us. B&W is friendlier and feister, she scraps with other cats and climbs onto us for cuddles. In the first year or so with us (they are sisters, adopted at 1yo) she used to bite and scratch but it hasn't happened for a long time now.

chockbic Sat 18-Jul-15 17:47:49

We had two girls. One was a lap cat from quite early on. The other was more feisty, until about age 5. She became affectionate then and was very bonded to me.

The mental we have now is a boy and loving on his terms. He also cries for us, which the girls never did.

sashh Sat 18-Jul-15 18:19:10

I've fostered loads, I think they are all individual and you can't generalise boys v girls.

My current cat will lick you coffee and one previous foster cat also did it, apparently it is a very good sign.

sparkysparkysparky Sat 18-Jul-15 18:27:48

My late old girl was a tortie tabby, skitty and shy. Full of tortitude. We pass a tortie on the way to school everyday and she is the friendliest most loving cat you could meet. The opposite of tortitude.

We had a tortie called Madeleine, she was a beautiful pale colour. In her youth she was so vile my children were scared to walk past her on the stairs. She mellowed, eventually, and became a soppy old lap cat.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 18-Jul-15 18:48:44

Ooh! You've just reminded me of the female tortie we had when I was a child, Where. She would sit on top of the fridge and whack everyone around the head when they walked passed.

We had a ginger Tom when we children. He was the soppiest, laziest boy. I've had two cats of my own. Both B&W females. The first one I had from a teeny kitten. She died when she was 17 years old. She was gorgeous, cuddly and so loving. My current girl is one I 'acquired' when she was abandoned by her previous owner. She was about 4 years old then so she's about 8 or 9 now. Let's just say she has character and leave it at that grin.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 18-Jul-15 19:17:23

This is my tortie, Matilda, sitting on the egg cupboard.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 18-Jul-15 19:20:58

This is my smallest and the weird one who loves to watch jewellery selling channels on sky, and once hunted a loaf of bread.
Her name is Jemima.

jeanswithatwist Sat 18-Jul-15 19:59:31

this was our girl the day she died, you wouldn't think so to look at her (she had renal failure). we loved her, yes she was feisty, used to lash out at the local tom who used to pop in (more like a slap across the face) but she was a fab' cat. A lap cat who was affectionate, had a small territory, mellow, good family cat although could nip if we got on her nerves although fair enough. Used to like being groomed, best of luck. fwiw we have another female kitten (7 months old). I have found they are more mellow than male cats although others may disagree. I think of males as bigger hunters, prowlers, also loving, just a bit different

mughandle Sat 18-Jul-15 20:22:20

Lovely pictures and stories thank you. I'm so excited now, she is a gorgeous little thing. Need to think of a name now.

Just waiting for a home visit next week (cat protection league) then we can collect her.

itsnothingoriginal Sat 18-Jul-15 20:32:31

I have a female tortie or the 'haughty tortie' as we like to call her! She's fab and a real character - pretty feisty but also a real lap cat of an evening.

We got her at 9 weeks and she's grown up with the family so great for you to have her from so young!

Good luck and have fun - I'm v envy as I'd have another tortie any day if I could!

mughandle Sat 18-Jul-15 20:33:58

Sorry for your loss jeanswithatwist. What a beautiful cat.

Mimigolightly Sat 18-Jul-15 20:37:53

Naughty torties are my absolute favourite. They always have loads of character.

jeanswithatwist Sat 18-Jul-15 20:59:11

thanks mughandle, it came totally out of the blue. she was acting a little odd, took her to the vet, she had non treatable renal failure and deteriorated really quickly in less than a week. ended up so weak she couldn't even navigate jumping up onto the sofa, it was heartbreaking to watch so she was pts a few hours after this photograph was taken. we got another cat (kitten) a couple of months later. for me/us it was the best way to fill the void she left behind. lovely cat, resued her three years before she died so she had a good few years to see her out

Didn't have time to post a pic earlier, here's my tortie in one of her favourite spots on top of the kitchen units.

That's sad about your girl Jeans, glad she had a few good years with you first.

ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Mon 20-Jul-15 23:37:11

my delinquent is a tabby & white, butter wouldn't melt, but her nickname isn't 'cowbag' for nothing, lol.

She's very much a one person cat, loves me to bits, tolerates DH as long as he doesn't touch her for a millisecond longer than she likes (then bites), avoids the kids and bites everyone else.

She's not a lap cat, she's a 'near-by' sort of cat. I get lots of cuddles and headbonks and dribbly purrings and kneadings, but only for 5 minutes and then she's off, but will be back 3 times in an hour to repeat the process! She likes to sit where she can see me, and i'm definitely NOT allowed to be in another room unless she leaves me, lol.

She doesn't wander further than the garden, is obsessed with my hair bobbles and spends hours chasing flies (but never catches any)

She's been here a year and i wouldn't be without her!

Clobbered Mon 20-Jul-15 23:57:55

My tortie girl is besotted with DH, but also very friendly with me. Neutered, but I'm convinced she has maternal urges - she carries soft toys around by the scruff of the neck and treats them like kittens. She will occasionally decide to groom me, and attacks one spot on a hand or foot and licks it over and over. She was quite an avid hunter when younger - birds were her speciality, but thankfully she has grown older and lazier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now