Talk

Advanced search

Cat pooing on way to the vets

(6 Posts)
Tillylils Fri 17-Jul-15 13:07:37

My lovely cat is 15 and is going to the vet tomorrow. The problem I have is that she gets so upset that she poos in the carrier on the way and by the time we get there she's covered in it. I usually just clean her up while I'm there but the reason we are going is because she has a benign tumour that is bleeding and I'm worried about her getting poo on it. Sorry I know this is a gross topic, but does anyone have any tips on what I could do to minimise the mess? I usually put an old towel in the bottom and just throw it out.

chockbic Fri 17-Jul-15 13:23:12

Could try anti anxiety meds before? I think there's one called zylkene.

cozietoesie Fri 17-Jul-15 13:41:34

I wouldn't worry about 'gross' - this isn't called The litter tray for nothing. grin

As it's tomorrow, I'm not sure there's a lot you can do apart from maybe trying some anti anxiety potions such as Feliway (sprayed in the carrier) or zylkene if you can get it so quickly. (Or, perhaps, restrict her food tonight?)

Does she do it every single time?

bonzo77 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:46:23

I wouldn't worry about fresh poo on a wound. It'll be cleaned up as soon as you get to the vet. It's not the same, but think about the stitches after you've given birth, or circumcision a baby still in nappies, or surgery on the anus (all things that I have experience of and never caused an infection).

Tillylils Fri 17-Jul-15 16:09:51

Thanks for the advice, feel a bit better now. If I can get some zylkene tonight will it have an effect on her in time?

chockbic Fri 17-Jul-15 17:23:11

It should be OK smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now