Talk

Advanced search

Ok, I have kittens (and a few questions)

(39 Posts)
Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:02:49

I went to get a kitten last week and foolishly took dd and ds2 with me, so I now have three. I haven't had little ones for a long time so have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind.

1) The rescue fed them Purina Junior - is that ok to continue with or is it like poison Whiskas? And they are only eating about half the dose we were recommended - I think the rescue woman got it wrong, and they should get 50 g a day each, divided in two feeds - she said 50 g a feed.

2) When can they go outside?

3) When is "playing" actually "bullying"?

Thanks in advance.

Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:03:07

Oh, and <squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee> kittens grin

Wolfiefan Wed 15-Jul-15 22:04:20

No answers on this thread until there are pictures! Them's the Rules!
grin

Maladicta Wed 15-Jul-15 22:04:42

And where are the pictures????

WellWhoKnew Wed 15-Jul-15 22:06:10

Pictures. Then advice.

No actual advice to give, but pictures still demanded.

Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:09:56

I knew you lot would do that grin

Hang on, apparently dd has sent me something.

starsandunicorns Wed 15-Jul-15 22:12:19

Paces back and forth on thread waiting for pics grin

Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:12:29

Here, taken on day one.

dd has some better ones, apparently.

Hassled Wed 15-Jul-15 22:13:14

Three kittens shock. You have your work cut out.

Playing/bullying - impossible to tell. They'll sort out their own pecking order in time; one will be more submissive and happy enough with that. Hopefully.

And they'll eat what they need to eat - don't get too bogged down in grams. They won't starve themselves.

And yes, pictures please.

starsandunicorns Wed 15-Jul-15 22:13:21

Sooo cute smile

Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:13:36

We have always had black and white cats, five over the last 20 years. The last two died (aged 19 and 14) last year, so we are starting from scratch, and I can't remember anything about kittens.

Hassled Wed 15-Jul-15 22:13:48

x post - oh my word, they are lovely.

Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:15:04

Thanks Hassled.

I'm giving them a bowl each and letting them eat as much as they like twice a day (setting ds to watch them for the moment).

The smallest is a right bully! - She leaps on the others, steals their toys and food if she can get away with it, and then yowls when they jump her.

Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:17:46

But when can I kick them they go outside [whinge]

It was like an oven in the sitting room today, and they are desperate to disappear up the nearest tree go for a wander.

starsandunicorns Wed 15-Jul-15 22:18:13

Is the smallest the runt of the litter (both times we had the smallest and another sibling and the smallest was very feisty) though did settle down smile

AlpacaPicnic Wed 15-Jul-15 22:22:00

Awwwwwwwwwww!

So cute!
My two beasts were kittens together. They played, they squabbled, they fought. Now they are middle aged older they ignore each other 50% of the time, snuggle up 40% of the time and bite each other 10% of the time...

willconcern Wed 15-Jul-15 22:22:28

Have they been spade? I wouldn't let them out until they have been. And until they're really comfortable with the house & know where they are.

I was also advised to feed my kittens several times a day, rather like a baby. 5 tines at first, then decreasing. Now they get fed twice a day only. The packets you are buying should tell you the amounts to feed them.

They're really cute!!!! God help your curtains!!!!!!

Costacoffeeplease Wed 15-Jul-15 22:23:16

I have two kittens at the moment, they're about 14 weeks now but my husband found 3 of them aged about 3 weeks so I hand reared them until they were about 7-8 weeks! We homed one with a friend, and kept two.

Ours are now having 4x100g sachets of wet food a day between them, with free access to kitten dry food

They will play very rough, and lots of biting, squealing, leaping, jumping on is all very normal, and necessary for their development, I've never known kittens hurt each other (and we have a total of 14 cats, and have kittens most years!)

They're so cute, enjoy them while they're young and playful, they'll soon be lazy sods who just snooze all daysmile

Toughasoldboots Wed 15-Jul-15 22:23:56

Lord I am jealous.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 15-Jul-15 22:25:07

I don't let them out until they've been spayed/neutered, so at about 6 months. If you have boys and girls get them in as soon as you can as the females can get pregnant at 5-6 months shock

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Jul-15 22:25:32

Three kittens in exchange for two kids is a bargain though.

Don't let on though, they will run out of kittens.

Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:32:05

They are three months, and have already been spayed/neutered.

I'm in Ireland, where feral cats are a real problem. The rescue I got them from is getting over 50 kittens a week atm. The used to let them go at about 8 to 10 weeks, and the fee included bringing them back for neutering, but they found a lot of people never bothered, so now they neuter them early, and don't let them go until they have been neutered.

I was surprised - the last time we got 8 week olds, and had to keep them in for fecking ages about three months, until they could be done.

We've always had black and whites, but the kids chose the tabbies and then the black one, the only female and the smallest, demanded loudly to come too [sigh]

Maryz Wed 15-Jul-15 22:32:54

[arf] Fluffy - sadly they wouldn't keep the kids!

They had the smallest collie you've ever seen there, we nearly brought him home too.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Jul-15 22:34:56

I would keep them in until 6 months, they are so little to be out and kittens do the most stupid life and limb risking things.

At three months they'd usually still be with mum and start to be more independent at 4 months plus.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 15-Jul-15 22:36:41

That's good they are neutered but I'd still keep them in for a good few weeks, unless you're really rural as they will have no road sense whatsoever - I'm not in the UK, and street cats are an issue here too - ours have all been literally picked up off the street by us or someone we know!

When you do let them out, plan to do it when they're hungry then tempt them back in fairly quickly, after half an hour or so, then gradually build it up from there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now