Talk

Advanced search

Why does my cat do this?!

(18 Posts)
midnightvelvetPart2 Wed 15-Jul-15 16:47:35

Not being very experienced with cats, could someone please tell me why she does the following, she's an indoor girl:

- When she sees another cat outside she runs to her scratching post & has a good scratch

- Licks around the meat in the wet food & leaves the solid bits

- Comes & kneads on me but the moment I put my hand on her to stroke she jumps off & runs away

smile

chockbic Wed 15-Jul-15 17:00:13

The scratch thing can be a bit of temper. Or maybe she's remarking her territory.

Does she ever eat the solid meat? I think lots of cats enjoy licking the jelly or gravy off first.

imabusybee Wed 15-Jul-15 17:06:42

You could try her on a good quality wet food that doesn't have gravy or jelly so she can't be picky - mine love Applaws or Cosma

Mimigolightly Wed 15-Jul-15 17:07:12

The scratching thing is territorial and the other 2 are because she's a fussy madam grin

sparkysparkysparky Wed 15-Jul-15 17:14:51

Sometimes stroking them can wind them up sad . Take a look at cat behaviourist Jackson Galaxy on YouTube and Animal Planet for tips on how cats think.

Greymalkin Wed 15-Jul-15 17:21:34

You said you are not that experienced with cats so I'm guessing you haven't had your girl that long yet. The third thing you mention might be her showing she is interested in you, wants to get to know you better, but is still working you out and whether she can trust you.

One of my cats did this for a very long time, even now, she rarely gets on my lap properly, preferring to just fidget about.

The scratch post stuff is a territory thing, and possible frustration at being inside when she might want to go out to 'see off' the intruders.

Not sure about the picky eating though!!

coffeeisnectar Wed 15-Jul-15 17:22:08

Scratching is marking her territory.

I've got a cat who only eats the jelly, but eats loads of dry food and drinks water.

Let her nudge you for stroking.

cozietoesie Wed 15-Jul-15 17:26:17

Or - maybe she's just temperamental. wink She's not a tortie is she?

midnightvelvetPart2 Wed 15-Jul-15 17:57:49

Thanks cat ladies smile

She's a Ragdoll & I've only had her 9 months, she's a rescue.

I've just looked & she's eaten half of the meat tonight smile here she is now

Mimigolightly Wed 15-Jul-15 19:13:46

She's beautiful.

Some cats like to be in control and the kneading you but walking off when you stroke her indicates this to me. I think this will change in time.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Jul-15 19:35:06

She is gorgeous. When they lick around the meat I think they dont really like it.

Aldi/Lidl do pate in trays that go down well here. Whiskas in jelly for example wouldnt be eaten properly.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 15-Jul-15 19:37:32

Because she is a cat and they are all weird.
I did not learn this until I had four of them.

Wolfiefan Wed 15-Jul-15 19:39:53

I would guess:
1 territory
2 not keen on the food
3 any chance at all she's been told off for kneading (and hurting someone?)

cozietoesie Wed 15-Jul-15 19:53:43

She looks like a madam. wink Although a lovely one.

eleventybillion Wed 15-Jul-15 23:28:17

Do you have my cat midnight <narrows eyes suspiciously>

Sounds like your girl is a real character and gorgeous to boot!

In the absence of any other symptoms the gravy licking is probably just the way she is. If you notice anything else like lip licking or vomiting, she may have a problem with excess stomach acid or some other underlying issue.

Eleventycat has been eating much better now she has her daily dose of gaviscon antacid. And throwing up less which is much appreciated by me and my new rug grin

imjustahead Wed 15-Jul-15 23:35:13

if my cat gets on my lap and then jumps down it normally means he wants something and i am to get up and follow him to the thing that if wants.

food

to be let out

food

to be let out...

RubbishMantra Wed 15-Jul-15 23:42:25

The scratching on her post is territorial. My 2 do it to wind each other up, therefore instigating a game of chase. It's hilarious watching them.

The rest of it is mostly because cats are contrary buggers.

Butterflywings168 Fri 17-Jul-15 00:37:22

My tortie madam does all those things too.
- Mine always scratches when she comes in. Probably territorial as others said.
- She's a fussy madam. Mine likes the posh stuff that is more flakes than chunks.
-It really bugged me that mine did this. I think it's just too much for her or yes, maybe she's nervous and expecting to be pushed away sad . I wonder if she was told off for kneading too sometimes she gets her claws out and it fucking hurts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now