Talk

Advanced search

Stray cat

(36 Posts)
EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Mon 13-Jul-15 20:29:45

I found a cat in my garden this morning. He/she is very thin and was starving. You can literally see and feel every bone in his body. He has been in my house all day, quite happily eating bits of food and drinking lots of water.
I am going to take him to the vets tomorrow to get checked over, and find out if he is micro-chipped.

I have posted on facebook to try to find out if he has got an owner.
Honestly, I would love to keep him. He and my other cat have got on quite well all day.
If somebody does come forward for him, is there any way I am able to keep him? If he has got an owner then he obviously hasn't been looked after for a very long time.

cozietoesie Mon 13-Jul-15 20:41:13

I'd try to wait until he was vetted and checked for a chip before becoming too attached. He could have done something daft like hopping into a van amd travelling hundreds of miles away from home before getting out and living rough in an unknown place. His current state doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't/didn't have a caring owner somehere and at some time.

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Mon 13-Jul-15 20:44:32

Good point thanks. I will have to see what the vet says tomorrow.

midnightvelvetPart2 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:48:36

Assuming he's not just lost then when you take him to the vet perhaps mention that you will rehome him if unchipped or unwanted? Then keep checking in at vets and reiterate every time that you will take him smile

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:13:35

Wait until the vet's checked him/her and then make a decision. If it is chipped the owners might have given him away and not want him.

Dont be too descriptive in any facebook posts, you want the owner to have photos of him etc to prove it's theres.

Last thing we need is someone getting a free cat off you.

Whats his name?

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 07:12:16

I put photos of him onto facebook -maybe I shouldn’t have really. I have got one reply saying he might live near her house, but obviously he could of been wandering for a while in and out different gardens.

Haven't given him/her a name yet

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Jul-15 07:46:00

I'd remove the photo and leave a generic "cat found".

Theres always rumours of dog fighters using cats to blood the dogs.

Wolfiefan Tue 14-Jul-15 09:19:51

Not everyone would see Facebook.
This could have been my cat a couple of days ago. She wasn't a stray but had medical issues.

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 09:21:58

I'm taking him to the vets later today, hopefully he is microchipped and can try to find his owner.

midnightvelvetPart2 Tue 14-Jul-15 09:32:10

Please would you let us know what happens? smile

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 09:42:53

Will do smile

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 17:07:06

Took the cat to the vets--he said she's a girl, definitely been abandoned. He was shocked at the state she is in. She has got a kidney infection and is extremely underweight and dehydrated. She is now ours, she has had some treatment and will be ok

midnightvelvetPart2 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:20:07

Oh the poor little thing!

Well done you, it was very lucky for her that it was your garden she went into!

What will you call her & can we have a pic when she's better smile

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 17:24:34

The kids have decided to call her Crystal. So now we have got Charlie cat and Crystal cat smile
The vet said if I didn't want her they could put her to sleep angry no chance of that happening when she has got every chance of being healthy and loved.

cozietoesie Tue 14-Jul-15 17:25:49

Poor little thing.

So you were her last chance? It was lucky she turned up and you all were in.

Have you named her yet? smile

cozietoesie Tue 14-Jul-15 17:27:13

X post.

A lovely name - hopefully for a lovely girl when she's fed herself up a bit.

Is that camera charging? smile

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 17:27:55

I think so yeah. Funny thing is, until a few months ago I wasn't really interested in cats now I've got 2!

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 17:28:19

Yep will post a pic soon

cozietoesie Tue 14-Jul-15 17:30:45

smile

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 17:37:10

Crystal

midnightvelvetPart2 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:45:29

Oh she is gorgeous, what beautiful fur!! smile

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 14-Jul-15 17:49:50

Will post more pics when she is healthy smile she's fast asleep now must be relieved to have had some treatment.

thecatneuterer Tue 14-Jul-15 17:58:18

Oh bless her and well done you. When she's a bit better you'll have to have her checked for a spay scar.

And just a warning - I wasn't particularly interested in cats either until I took pity on a neglected neighbours' cat (which ended up costing me over £1000 at the vet) and now I have 22 ...

Wolfiefan Tue 14-Jul-15 18:00:03

Oh bless her. Good on you for taking her on. She clearly has a new slave!!

RubbishMantra Tue 14-Jul-15 18:11:28

Bless you both. You can see on her little face that she's been through an ordeal.

Thank goodness she wandered into your garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now