Talk

Advanced search

Do I need another cat :)

(11 Posts)
midnightvelvetPart2 Sun 12-Jul-15 10:09:17

So, have had my first ever cat since last October. She's a rescue girl & an indoor cat & I'm worried that she is getting bored. She sleeps all day & pads round at night but doesn't come for cuddles anymore although she did last winter.

If I rescue another indoor cat then would it be OK? She was a breeding queen & lived outside in a pen before, so she is used to other cats & they used to eat together as far as I know. She's had all of her kittens taken away from her from the breeder so I wondered if I got a kitten would that be a better idea & less threatening for her?

I have zero experience of cats as you can see & am worried that if I introduce another it will create problems that I have no idea how to deal with & will make Cat 1's life bad whereas now its OK.... as she's a rescue I've no idea of what she's had to deal with before & as they would be indoor cats they would not easily be separated. Plus what would I do with Cat 2 if it didn't work? Send the poor baby back to the shelter?

What do you think?

OrangeSquashTallGlass Sun 12-Jul-15 10:15:03

I could have written this post exactly, or cats have the same origins!

The only difference is that she is by my side as often as she possibly can be. Which makes me think that she likes human company and gets alot of it so hopefully isn't lonely.

But if your cat is spending alot of time by herself maybe another cat would be good for her... idk. <unhelpful>

OrangeSquashTallGlass Sun 12-Jul-15 10:16:12

Hopefully someone will be along soon with actual advice...

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 12-Jul-15 12:15:06

1) Does she have to be indoor only?.

2) How does she react if she see's another cat outside? Mine gets very agitated so I know I could never get another cat.

midnightvelvetPart2 Sun 12-Jul-15 12:50:20

Orange grin

Fluffy Ah thanks, she does have to be indoor it was a condition of the rescue & she's a Ragdoll so she's a bit dim & non aggressive smile

If she sees another cat then runs away & scratches at her post or hides, I hadn't even thought of that sad

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 12-Jul-15 13:16:28

So it makes her mark her territory?. Could be worse, mine wee's on a wall when a new cat arrives on the street.

So maybe she doesn't need a friend of her own species.

How about a timber and chicken wire run in the garden? one poster on here cat proofed her garden after her cat went missng and it didnt cost the £1000's cat proofing companies charge.

sparkysparkysparky Sun 12-Jul-15 16:10:39

I'd look at boredom busting that doesn't involve another cat. For example, a ball that yields treats after a bit of knocking it about; a cat tower that gives a great view out the window. Go on YouTube and look for Cats Protection and Jackson Galaxy videos for ideas on boredom busting.smile

sparkysparkysparky Sun 12-Jul-15 16:16:30

And do plenty of play with the cat when you are around - flying frenzy toy or similar. Give cat a treat when you leave so you leaving equals yummy treat.

midnightvelvetPart2 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:44:39

Thanks sparky, she has the tower & the ball thing already blush her favourite place to sleep is at one of the platforms at the top of the tower smile I love Jackson Galaxy!

RubbishMantra Sun 12-Jul-15 19:52:53

I can vouch for the Flying Frenzy, my 2 love it.

And wait until winter comes - she'll be demanding cuddles again. wink They get too hot on laps in warm weather, especially long haired cats like yours.

imabusybee Sun 12-Jul-15 21:06:44

I had an ex-breeding queen, rescued her when she was 3 and it was just me and her in my small flat. Fast forward 3 years and she's now the happiest I've ever seen her living with 3 other cats in our house! We got two boy kittens about a year after she moved in and she was at first very put out, but she adores them now. 8 months after that our tiny baby girl kitten came to us at 6 weeks (long story) & although the two girls aren't best pals they do tolerate and care for each other. The dynamic between the four of them is incredible, they are so close and have such complex relationships! I would have never said she'd get along with other cats when she first came home with me, but she's far, far happier and more content now she has company! Do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now