Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone advise about Devon Rex's ears?

(8 Posts)
RubbishMantra Sat 11-Jul-15 18:46:31

DH took Little Monsieur to the vet for his jabs/annual check up. Devon Rexes produce a lot of black ear-wax. Vet swabbed for earmites; negative. She put some drops in his ear, and sold DH a bottle of them (CleanAural) for £20(!) since then he's been worrying his ears and shaking his head.

LM's breeder recommended not to put drops in Devon's ears. So conflicting advice from vet and Devon Rex expert.

I'd be so grateful if anyone, perhaps a fellow Devon person or vet could advise me if I should carry on with the drops?

TIA

SunshineAndShadows Sat 11-Jul-15 18:52:09

CleanAural is very non-irritant but the process of cleaning may have irritated him a little and will have loosened off the wax which he may try and shake out. You usually only use cleaner a couple of times a week unless ears are v bad. I'd continue cleaning as a build up of wax will predispose to infection and Rexes are prone to sebaceous dermatitis too which can result in infections so clearing the secretions should help this.

RandomMess Sat 11-Jul-15 18:52:11

I'd find a Devon Rex group - probably one on Facebook and ask on there, they will have far more breed experience between them than a vet.

They are gorgeous cats, I'm very jealous!

RubbishMantra Sat 11-Jul-15 19:47:51

Thanks both. smile She said every 2 weeks, so not excessive. He's stopped the head shaking now, and is just sulking a bit.

He is a greasy little monkey, and his coat seems to be a magnet for dirt. Whereas my moggy, who has a silky shiny coat, is always immaculate.

Here he is, chillaxing in a flowerpot. grin

SunshineAndShadows Mon 13-Jul-15 19:49:51

grin

code Mon 13-Jul-15 22:22:05

He's hilarious, and he looks like a little sheeps.

BerylStreep Mon 13-Jul-15 23:10:25

Oh he is lovely! I am very envious - I wanted a Devon Rex, but DH point blank refused, and was very rude about their big ears shock <outrage>

We got 2 Burmese in the end, but I still have a very soft spot for Devons.

RubbishMantra Mon 13-Jul-15 23:40:31

He is a funny sheepy looking little thing. He reminds me of a button mushroom in that photo.

I think Devons and Burmese have similar trusting and ebullient natures Beryl. Gifted at opening doors/counting cards, not so much common sense. Feline idiot savants. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now