Talk

Advanced search

Why is my cat still alive?

(12 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jul-15 15:08:11

In January the vet said he had less than 5% kidney function and we should put him down in the next few days.

He's fine confused - still eating renal cat food, totally happy.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jul-15 15:08:54

The vet said there was no treatment either so I'm not neglecting doing anything

Mintyy Sat 11-Jul-15 15:09:44

Ah, love him. How old is he?

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jul-15 15:10:13

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jul-15 15:12:05

Non dead cat

villainousbroodmare Sat 11-Jul-15 15:17:42

I'd say he's making the very most of his ninth life, fair play to him! Borrowed time, Laurie... sad
But the renal food is helping and if you can do everything possible to maximise his fluid intake by encouraging him to drink and feeding wet food, you'll hopefully get the last 0.005% of renal capacity.

Mintyy Sat 11-Jul-15 15:18:09

Oh he is gorgeous! What a lovely old boy.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jul-15 15:21:49

He only eats the wet tuna renal smile

He is lovely. He has so much attention from us all as he's our last cat.

Our dog died at Christmas and we have a friends dog staying this week and the cat has remembered that he liked to walk to the end of the road in the evening for the dogs last constitutional with DH and then race them home so he could yell outside the front door.

He has a new lease of life this week.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 11-Jul-15 15:47:06

Cats don't read text books. They are notorious for ability to defy clinical norms.
As one lecturer at college told me just when you think you have feline medicine licked you meet an overweight, lethargic, anorexic and silent hyperthyroid cat.

cozietoesie Sat 11-Jul-15 15:57:41

Hah! I think Seniorboy read them and then put them in the bin! smile

RubbishMantra Sat 11-Jul-15 16:56:44

Ah, what a lovely old boy. I hope my 2 fluffy fools have such long and happy lives. smile

YeOldTrout Sun 12-Jul-15 06:07:17

Sustained on Love? Hope he continues well. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now