Talk

Advanced search

I've forgotten what to dooooo! (New kitten alert!)

(31 Posts)
WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 05-Jul-15 19:03:16

We lost our old man, Bruce last year. Didn't want to replace him straight away, but a friend's cat has had kittens and we've succumbed and brought one home to their new home today.

Bruce lived to be 19 so it's a long time since we had a kitten in the home.

We are trying to remember what we did, but it's been sooo long that I've forgotten what to dooooo........<plaintive voice>

girliefriend Sun 05-Jul-15 19:07:46

Erm you appear to of forgotten to attach the mandatory photo <taps foot impatiently>

So you feed them, give them lots of cuddles and things to play with, remind them where the litter tray is every so often...

Oh and book in with a vet to discuss jabs, flea treatment and getting neutered.

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 05-Jul-15 19:14:16

Mandatory photo will be supplied - once she's woken up from sleeping on one of my boots under the piano. smile

Thanks. We are still registered with the vets and know the importance of health checks, jabs, neutering.

RubbishMantra Sun 05-Jul-15 19:24:31

Agree with girlie re. photo. smile

Kitten-proof the house, (wires, hidey holes under cabinets etc.) Keep him indoors until he's been neutered/had his jabs. I let mine in the garden after his jabs, but only because it's an enclosed courtyard, and he was too little to be able to spring over the wall. Only supervised though, until he was neutered.

Keep the little 'un confined to one room (your bedroom?) with all his things, including a litter tray to start with, then once he appears more confident, let him explore. Find out what food and litter he's used to, so you can provide the same. If you want to change food, introduce the new one gradually after a week or so.

If you've got a covered tray, with a flappy door, remove the door until he's confident using it.

Kittens like to steal food. They will eat ANYTHING. You will realise this when his front paws make an appearance in your dinner, grin

RubbishMantra Sun 05-Jul-15 19:25:29

*Sorry, posted before I read kitten is a she.

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 05-Jul-15 19:38:15

smile We've been told the new kitten is a girl but will get that checked too. The owner of the mother cat was convinced it was a boy for years, until this litter came along, apparently. smile

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 05-Jul-15 20:23:48

Photo as promised

RainbowFlutterby Sun 05-Jul-15 20:27:16

Awwwwwww...

I want one.

girliefriend Sun 05-Jul-15 21:10:57

Really cute but I reckon you may have a little fella there! Have you got a name yet? grin

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 05-Jul-15 21:14:01

Fine either way, our last cat was a boy.
What makes you think he's a he?

No name yet until we know either way. Currently going by 'kitty' or 'cheeky'!

cozietoesie Sun 05-Jul-15 22:54:20

Gorgeous wee scrap - I'd say it was a girl if pushed.

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 05-Jul-15 23:55:25

(S)he has braved coming to snuggle up with me and my fluffy throw. And there's purring! smile smile

It's lovely.

cozietoesie Mon 06-Jul-15 00:03:16

Where shall she sleep tonight do you think? smile

Oh - has she used her tray and eaten/drunk yet?

RubbishMantra Mon 06-Jul-15 00:07:38

Blimey, so your friend's had an un-neutered female for years, and she's only just produced a litter? Does friend plan on getting their lass spayed to prevent further pregnancies?

Your kitten is truly beautiful.

WhenMarnieWasThere Mon 06-Jul-15 08:53:36

Oh yes, getting the mum spayed is happening as soon as all the kittens are homed apparently.

She slept happily on the fluffy throw on the sofa. No fuss. And she has resumed the position already.

Eating fine. Weeing and pooing fine just not in the litter tray yet .

cozietoesie Mon 06-Jul-15 08:58:56

Oops - has she used her tray at all yet? (Where is she going at the moment?)

timtam23 Mon 06-Jul-15 10:06:04

Be prepared for them sleeping all day then revving up at 11pm for a crazy few hours of tearing around the house

Keep the loo seat down grin

Try not to use your hands/feet as playthings for them to chase unless you want to spend years breaking the habit of them clawing your hands to pieces (speaking from bitter experience!)

And enjoy! He/she looks a lot like my now-enormous beastie smile

kathryng90 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:44:12

Get kitten a friend. My first shredded legs and arms 'playing' with us endlessly until he got a friend to wrestle with. And get a cat tree as tall as space allows. I have 4 now and they charge round the house climbing up and down the tree like mad creatures.

QueenFuri Mon 06-Jul-15 16:10:50

Aww she is so cute and little and gorgeous. I had a cute cuddly kitten once she is now a year old little biting machine but I luffs her. Yes with kitty proofing especially little gaps, mine went behind the washing machine when we got her then got stuck in the wall between the kitchen and bathroom. I had to phone the fire brigade and I was mortified the whole street was out wondering why I had 4 hunks firemen in my house!! They even stayed to cuddle the cute little kitten grin.

Have a couple of trays I had one in whatever room she was in and in the kitchen. Nice food, lots of toys and a space on your bed! Whats her name?

girliefriend Mon 06-Jul-15 18:25:43

Just thought of another one - keep the loo seat down!! My friend ended up with a very soggy kitten due to now doing this!!

He looks like a boy to me (nothing to base that on other than instinct grin )

WhenMarnieWasThere Mon 06-Jul-15 20:04:47

No playmates here I'm afraid.

Current names under consideration

Merry
Misty
Willow (big buffy fan when I was younger)
Pepper
Cheeky
Tinker

DD1 wants it to be called a 'pretty' name but doesn't like Willow.
DD2 wants Logan (despite her most likely being a girl)
DH suggested Beelzebub, king of Death. But then he would. And he fancies a 'manly name' to be calling down the garden in the evenings.

cozietoesie Mon 06-Jul-15 20:33:23

Logan is actually a slightly androgynous name to me. smile

Meepandyoup Mon 06-Jul-15 21:08:27

Thor : )

cozietoesie Mon 06-Jul-15 22:00:54

Is he really planning to call out 'Beelzebub, King of Death' in the garden a few dozen times? Really?

WhenMarnieWasThere Mon 06-Jul-15 22:36:37

Apparently it would be 'Bee' for short.

This is the man that wanted to call our firstborn Damien after the kid in the Omen movies if it had been a boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now