Talk

Advanced search

Sprained front leg - how long before taking to vets?

(4 Posts)
GreenAugustLion Sun 05-Jul-15 15:51:55

We got home yesterday and d cat was limping. It's his front right leg, which he wasn't putting any weight on at all. We had a good look, his paw, shoulder etc all fine when you felt them and the pain is definitely when you touch the elbow (do cats have elbows?) joint half way down.

I called the vet, we had the option of a £200 out of hours fee, or go and get some painkillers and see if it healed.

We gave him the painkillers, kept him in and within a couple of hours he was much happier, bearing weight on it (still limping but fairly mild). Obviously in less pain.

So today...has been fine all morning but he's now noticibly limping on it again and clearly not happy. He's due painkillers in 2 hours (once a day) and they're clearly wearing off.

How long would you give it until you took him to be checked? He's eating, cleaning himself, seems ok and happy with the painkillers.

My thought is, surely if it was broken or seriously damaged, the cat equivalent of a bit of paracetamol wouldn't mask it so much that it was barely noticible iyswim?

I'm thinking see how he is tomorrow and take him on Tuesday if no improvement?

lljkk Sun 05-Jul-15 15:56:20

I would take him Monday but not today, presuming an appt tomorrow won't cost £200 I hope.

RubbishMantra Sun 05-Jul-15 17:01:19

I think tomorrow as well. Cats mask pain very well, so if he's showing signs of being in pain, then he'll be hurting a lot.

cozietoesie Mon 06-Jul-15 08:49:03

How is he doing this morning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now