Talk

Advanced search

help please spraying everywhere! At my wits end :(

(17 Posts)
Inneedofadvice553 Mon 29-Jun-15 19:45:19

my cat has started weeing and spraying every where in ever room,,,,he is ten and this has happened before when other cats come in, but also in my last flat where there was no garden,

There is a cat which keeps coming in, which is eating my cats food and i think spraying too (all up the oven sad )

what can i do to stop the spraying and the cat getting in?

im at my wits end and thinking of rehoming my cat

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 29-Jun-15 19:49:49

Get a micro chip operated cat flap that way no cats can get in.

go to vets and get any urine infections ruled out.

try a feliway plug in

ThisIsClemFandango Mon 29-Jun-15 19:50:59

Have you tried a Feliway diffuser? It doesn't work for everyone but our cat started spraying when we brought our new baby home. After a week of using it the spraying stopped.
I was also told to thoroughly clean the sprayed areas and use a citrus spray - if they can still smell their wee they will likely carry on weeing in the same spots.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:11:15

You need a microchip flap really. Poor boy must be very stressed to spray.

Inneedofadvice553 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:37:24

ooh citrus spray thats a good idea

def no urine infection
unfortunately i cant get a cat flap!

Thanks everyone!

RiverTam Mon 29-Jun-15 20:40:04

Is he neutered?

code Mon 29-Jun-15 20:58:38

How is the other cat getting in if you don't have a cat flap?

cozietoesie Mon 29-Jun-15 22:53:06

It will almost certainly be the other cat stresing him out - and indeed, as you said, some of the spraying may in fact be the other cat - so you've got to find some way of keeping him out so that your house is a 'safe place' for your own boy.

What are the current arrangements in the house? (And ditto to code's post.)

Inneedofadvice553 Mon 29-Jun-15 23:03:05

through the back door and the windows,,,,the cat literally climbs in my bedroom window in the middle of the night,,,,and the back door whilst i am in the next room!

Even after being chased out by me on numerous occasions!

I'm thinking netting for the windows, unfortuantely the back door is how i let my cat out, he doesnt always meow to get out and then wees on the floor sad

cozietoesie Mon 29-Jun-15 23:05:18

Can you put a (chip) cat flap on the back door? It's usually possible even with various different door constructions.

Wolfiefan Mon 29-Jun-15 23:06:12

You need to keep the door shut. Put the cat out intermittently. He may not ask to go out if he doesn't feel safe out there because of the other cat. Go with him? Take a water pistol for the other cat. Keep windows shut enough so the other day can't get in.

cozietoesie Mon 29-Jun-15 23:08:08

...He may not ask to go out if he doesn't feel safe out there because of the other cat...

Yes indeed. Does he have a tray inside the house?

Wolfiefan Mon 29-Jun-15 23:15:43

Cozie agrees with me so I must be right!
Now if only I could solve the problem of ancient wolfiecat's incessant nighttime shouting!

cozietoesie Mon 29-Jun-15 23:32:18

Nah - it's just that not everyone can have alpha cats. With the exception of The Lodger (who would never back down from a fight but would far rather open a bottle and shuffle some cards if he saw a stranger) I've always had outside-going cats who would spend their inside 'down time' sharpening their spears ready for battle - but some cats are just less assertive than others and don't like confrontation, especially as they age and maybe become less physically able. One of those things. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 30-Jun-15 07:14:16

If you have a upvc door with a separate bottom panel they pop out if you loosen the beading around the edges.

Then you can buy a plain panel, put a flap in and replace with the original panel if you move in the future.

Obviously this is useless advice if you have a 300 year old solid oak door that you dont fancy cutting holes in.

Inneedofadvice553 Tue 30-Jun-15 15:08:40

its a big solid door and belongs to my landlord....a flap isnt an option

I am going to try letting him out intermittently but from my experience when it is shut, he wee's on the floor.

I am thinking of asking my neighbours who this particular cat belongs to so I can speak to the owners/ find out if he is a stray.

cozietoesie Tue 30-Jun-15 15:54:48

Sorry - I have no idea why I didn't notice - but has he actually got a litter tray inside?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now