Talk

Advanced search

Re directed Cat Aggression

(9 Posts)
CocaKoala Mon 29-Jun-15 11:20:25

We had a new kitten over the weekend and oldest cat (3) has been displaying some serious directed cat aggression towards myself. He really is not happy. Is there anything I can do to calm him? I know it's very early days but what are the chances that they'll live in harmony - even if its at opposite ends of a room?

cozietoesie Mon 29-Jun-15 12:19:22

How is he behaving, exactly? Oh - and what are the general circumstances in which they're living? (eg size of house/ inside or outside for the older cat, number of trays, feeding arrangements etc etc)

CocaKoala Mon 29-Jun-15 12:29:19

I have 3 treys and 3 cats. I know your meant to have double trey for each cat but the older 2 don't use a trey at all as they go out. The older two are still feeding and drinking in their usual spot and kitten has it's own room with food water and trey. Cat number 2 isn't fazed at all by the new arrival. They've even gone nose to nose and are quite happy to be around each other. But the oldest cat is hissing at the kitten and growling. I went to leave him out after a bit of a spat and as I went to open the door and put my hand on the handle he jumped up and attacked me. He's even drawn blood.

He is generally the most placid cat and takes everything in his stride. He has never attacked before. I've tried giving him some reassurance but at the minute he won't let me near him - although he was quite happy for me to give a treat of chicken - the sod lol!

Second cat came after him too so he was a solo cat before we introduced a second and he did the usual hissing and growling but eventually came around - but didn't attempt to attack me.

He is 'done' as well (not sure if that makes any difference). Obviously he's stressed about the new arrival and i'm just wondering how to distress him as such as I hate seeing him upset. We've always had the closest bond too.

CocaKoala Mon 29-Jun-15 16:47:57

Hmm well I've given him some chicken again today and while the chicken is about he wants to be my best friend. He's buggered off out now after it but I guess at least he still is coming home despite being upset because of our new family member. I think it's just going to have to take time and probably lots of it.

cozietoesie Mon 29-Jun-15 19:01:37

It sounds as if he's giving you a hard time to make his point - has he tried spraying yet? (There will be a bit of jockeying for position between the three of them and he may be in a bad mood with life generally.)

I'd try sticking to your normal routine and not giving him any special treatment. See how it is in a day or two.

CocaKoala Mon 29-Jun-15 19:11:28

Thanks Cozie, I suppose I have been a little bit more 'special treatment' because for some reason I feel guilty that he feels stressed and I want to reassure him but now I'm worried the special treatment will turn in to learned behaviour with him.

They do get weekend treats of chicken but I did give extra today to both. He is a spoilt boy though and I'm afraid I probably am a soft touch and he knows it. Cat number 2 has also been on the receiving end of his behaviour. Hopefully he'll come around eventually.

cozietoesie Mon 29-Jun-15 21:10:30

I would lay money that second cat is subtly stirring what with the new arrival - see how it is after a day or two. smile

CocaKoala Fri 03-Jul-15 16:00:22

Little update: He's no longer attacked me but is still aggressive towards kitty (understandable). He's taken a good old swipe at him but Kitty has also hissed back. He's currently sleeping in his usual spot whilst kitty is asleep in a different room so that is definite improvement - seeing as he literally would dart straight out the door if the kitten was anywhere to be seen.

So fingers crossed we've reached a turning point. I don't think they'll ever be best buddies but hopefully they'll learn to tolerate each other as the live together.

cozietoesie Fri 03-Jul-15 17:37:04

That's good then - so fingers crossed also. You're right in that sometimes cats are never going to be best buddies but 'getting along' could very well be achievable. (Who can tell after a little while more and after he's been neutered.)

Best of luck anyway. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now