Talk

Advanced search

Our new cats are here!

(11 Posts)
SunnyAgain Thu 25-Jun-15 18:46:00

I brought home our two little cats today, and they've spent most of the time hiding under my bed, but have made a few tentative trips down the stairs only to run back and hide when they are spotted!
They've been here since about 11.30am and have eaten a little bit of the pouched food I gave them (the type they are used to) but most is still left. Should I clear it away and give them some fresh stuff? How long should uneaten fresh food be left for? And at 7 months, should I give a pouch each at each meal? I don't want to keep throwing it away but don't know if they are just not eating much as they are nervous still.

SunnyAgain Thu 25-Jun-15 18:49:17

First photos....

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jun-15 18:59:07

I try to keep the food fresh so Yes - I'd replace it (because it dries out real quickly) and put it reasonably close to their hiding place for a day or two. How many meals are you giving them at the moment? (And have they used their tray yet?)

They're gorgeous. smile

6cats3gingerkittens Thu 25-Jun-15 19:05:12

They look very elegant and have sweet faces. Lucky you. Don't. Fret about the food. Put fresh down overnight. I would be amazed if it was still there in the morning. They won't starve but you may have to reconcile yourself to throwing some away as it does go stale quite quickly.just enjoy them. Best wishes.

Tinfoiled Thu 25-Jun-15 19:10:17

Wow they look uncannily like my 2 rescue cats! We've had ours for about 2.5 months now. I think others have given good advice. Their appetites will pick up very soon!

PaigeMahoney Thu 25-Jun-15 19:13:28

Nothing to add but your cats are beeeeeautiful. Think I'm broody for a new cat.

Tinfoiled Thu 25-Jun-15 19:14:44

These are mine. It's a photo of a photo so not the clearest but you can see the similarity to your 2! smile

SunnyAgain Thu 25-Jun-15 19:24:39

Oh yes, yours are similar Tinfoiled! Lovely!

I will clear their bowls and put fresh food in. I think they must be asleep at the moment as I haven't seen them for a while, but because there are quite a few boxes under my bed it's hard to see them! The rescue centre said 2 meals a day, and I thought I would leave a supply of dry food for them inbetween as well. I have cleared one poo from the litter tray so far.
Food bowls and litter tray are all in my bedroom at the moment, but I will leave dry food in the kitchen tonight in case they go exploring, and there is another litter tray downstairs, but they haven't ventured that far yet. I don't really want cat food and poos in my room for longer than necessary but it is the best place for them to have their base at the moment.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jun-15 19:59:12

If they're already venturing out, it won't be for long. smile

RubbishMantra Thu 25-Jun-15 21:21:54

What beautiful faces they have! The one in pic number 1 appears to have a handlebar mustache!

Re wet food, I usually throw it away after an hour or so. Otherwise flies lay their eggs in it in this weather <sick emoticon> Looks like barbie doll size rice. Leave a good quality dried food (Applaws for example) down in between feeds, and plenty of fresh water.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jun-15 22:06:41

Are they the same age, Sunny ? (The one with more white on the face looks a little bit older than the other from the picture you posted.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now