Talk

Advanced search

we have new kittens ☺

(67 Posts)
VelmaD Wed 24-Jun-15 19:41:02

My cat was sadly poisoned by antifreeze by someone in April 2013, and we have been without cats since

friend rehomed a cat, tried to get her spayed but she was pregnant - she struggled to rehome the kittens, so today we brought two home.

not sure if theyre definitely girls (ones tortoisehell one is black and white) or girl/boy, but we have the vets on July 9th to sort immunisations, check ups, microchipping and neutering.

they have settled in wonderfully, used the litter tray, had a little food and drink and are currently curled up with each other napping

having never had kittens (always rehomed adult cats) what do i need to look out for or do? they have been well handled and loved by their previous home, but im so nervous they arent eating or drinking enough, or that theyre sleeping too much!!

Pics!! Pics!!! Obligatory here smile

They sound fine.. I had my first kittens last summer.. they were a pain :D Keeping the outdoor doors shut til they were older was a nightmare, and they chewed through phone cables, a macbook charger and a lamp..so you might want to keep an eye on your electronics !

They slept loads then had mad hours late in the evening. Ate an incredible amount and grew fast.

Get a flying frenzy www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/shop/Flying-Frenzy-Wand-Cat-Toy honestly the best kitten toy ever..we have gone through a lot of replacment ends and it's worth every penny.. hours of bonding entertainment!

And don't worry if they don't poo for a few days (I worried blush) as it can take time for them to adjust there!

I kept mine in one bedroom for a couple of days and gradually they explored te rest of the house. Now they own it!

fackinell Thu 25-Jun-15 00:39:33

Congratulations!! smile
I hope you're keeping them indoors incase that evil person who poisoned your kitty is still around...how utterly heartbreaking for you. I'm so sorry. thanks

fackinell Thu 25-Jun-15 00:41:14

They will sleep as much as they need to do don't worry about that. They should poo a couple of times a day, all mine have.

Keep the loo seat down, I nearly lost one that way.

MadAngryGnome Thu 25-Jun-15 00:50:59

We just left out dry food and a bowl of water and they helped themselves when they were hungry or thirsty.

Easy toy that kittens go mad for: a piece of string with a scrap of cardboard tied on the end. Trail it enticingly past their paws. Hours of fun.

I second the request for pics! smile

Stinkersmum Thu 25-Jun-15 10:13:01

How old are they??

VelmaD Fri 26-Jun-15 21:52:20

Sorry we have been manic! I can't work out how to post photos from my phone on the app?

They are about 7 weeks. It's been a amazing three days! They are litter trained, playful, loving, happy and we adore them!

Stinkersmum Fri 26-Jun-15 22:56:16

That's a bit early to be taken from their mum.... they still sleep a lot at that age. Give them some lacto free or kitten milk plus good kitten food. Not supermarket crap.

AnotherEmma Fri 26-Jun-15 23:02:41

I will give advice in exchange for photos!

VelmaD Sat 27-Jun-15 00:28:03

I saw them at home with mum - they were well and truely weaned. They were two of a litter of four - the other two were bigger, and one was still feeding from mum and hadn't gone yet, and wouldn't till she had weaned, but these two had distanced themselves a week or so ago. They have kitten food with extra milk added, dry and wet, lots of water. They do sleep a lot, but play too.

VelmaD Sat 27-Jun-15 00:28:32

How do I add photos on the IOS app?!

RubbishMantra Sat 27-Jun-15 18:10:49

Blimey, they did wean early.

When kittens aren't being hooligans, they'll be asleep. They eat much more than an adult cat, I let mine free feed on Applaws dry for kittens, and a 200g tin of Animonda Carny, fed over 3 meals a day. But because yours are so young, I'd give them 5 small meals a day. Pretty much feed on demand, cats don't usually overeat.

I was lucky, in that my little man wasn't destructive, preferring to clown about to get lots of attention.

cozietoesie Sat 27-Jun-15 19:00:03

I don't think you can add photos on the IOS app I'm afraid. Maybe if you go into Safari and access MN that way?

VelmaD Sat 27-Jun-15 20:25:06

I am keeping a small amount of dry food and lots of water available for them all day so they can choose when to eat. I'm then adding to that some wet food once or twice a day.

They were weaned early, we weren't expecting it, but think they got pushed out a little by siblings, and mum wasn't much interested.

Will head on safari later. They aren't destructive at all currently, can't believe how well they've fitted in, especially with litter training -not a single accident!!

cozietoesie Sat 27-Jun-15 20:30:34

The best of luck then - I'll restrain myself from commenting on Safari because it wouldn't be good for my equilibrium. Look forward to the pictures if you manage it. smile

VelmaD Sat 27-Jun-15 20:42:45

Hopefully this works!

cozietoesie Sat 27-Jun-15 20:49:00

Great pair. smile

The tortie will be a girl but if I had to put money on it, I'd say that the black and white was a boy. (Only time or the vet will tell though - unless you've upended the little soul?)

VelmaD Sat 27-Jun-15 20:49:38

Just taken now as well

cozietoesie Sat 27-Jun-15 20:51:36

That's a pair who will shortly be in control of the house - if they're not already. They have that look about them. smile

VelmaD Sat 27-Jun-15 20:52:02

The vet said on the phone they think the tortoiseshell is a girl as well, as they usually are. We have up ended the black one, and used google but can't quite decide between boy and girl. He eats more though, and is definitely more dominant so I reckon boy, his temperament reminds me of my old (male) cat. We go on the 8th for full check up, immunisations, worm and flea treatment and for proper sexing as well as to discuss microchipping and spaying.

VelmaD Sat 27-Jun-15 20:53:55

Cozie they definitely have the kids wrapped round their paws - and even DP who was pretty meh about them spent the evening watching them Thursday and rather likes them I think. I'm rather enjoying the company of an evening, though the other day they slept on my neck playing with my hair!

Stinkersmum Sat 27-Jun-15 22:00:26

If you can get a picture of the black and white ones little bottom I could identify the sex for you. They're cute as buttons. smile

AnotherEmma Sat 27-Jun-15 22:50:26

Eeeeeee photos! Adorable grin

Haven't read all the replies, so apologies if I'm repeating anything, but here's my advice:

- Give them good quality food with a high meat/protein content. We give ours Orijen dry food (they're spoiled!) as the quality is so good. When I read up on it I was shocked to find that the supermarket cat food is such terrible quality.

- Get a litter tray with high sides, it stops them weeing/pooing over the side (!) and limits the amount of litter they kick out. We ordered a U.S.-made one from Amazon.com, even with US to UK delivery it was still cheaper than ordering from Amazon.co.uk. Good value overall.

- Get a scratch post and scratch board. It will save your furniture!

- Toys... Ours went mad for a laser pointer (although it feels a bit cruel making them chase a light!)

- Don't let them outside until they're at least 6 months old.

That's it. Enjoy! grin

cozietoesie Sat 27-Jun-15 22:52:18

Strewth - pictures of 'special places' ! I don't know whether the board would recover. grin

AnotherEmma Sat 27-Jun-15 22:53:20

Oh I forgot. Cardboard boxes! They love them. Climbing in and out, hiding behind, chewing. You end up with bits of cardboard everywhere, but at least they're chewing the cardboard and not cables...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now