Talk

Advanced search

Little Monsieur - he's a little peculiar...

(7 Posts)
RubbishMantra Mon 22-Jun-15 00:49:17

...and he always has been. But more in an attention grabbing way. A week or 2 ago, he started creeping about the house, looking not so sure of himself. Hiding behind the washing machine. Tonight, I stood on MCat's tail, drawing forth a screechy complaint noise from MCat. Little Monsieur dashed in from the garden, to check on his big bro, who he adores. Since then, he's sequestered himself behind the washing machine (again), only venturing out to fall into the bath. (While I was in it, he can creep like a Ninja.)

Cat flap locked from 7pm, so no other cats getting in to freak him out. He doesn't leave the yard.

He's due for his boosters this week, and I'm pretty sure (from experience) if I relay all this out of sorts behaviour to the vet they'll say they can't diagnose a problem, if any, without actual physical symptoms - such as discharge from orifices etc.

Any ideas?

cozietoesie Mon 22-Jun-15 00:56:34

Something's up. Have you had any strangers in the house for example?

Is it a chip flap by the way?

RubbishMantra Mon 22-Jun-15 01:50:16

No strangers in the house etc. Cozie. Like you say, first thing I thought of was feline interlopers. But I've been a tad unwell recently, so at home pretty much all the time really, so I'd have noticed, I'm sure.

Wondering if this is some sort of power-play between him and MCat. Little Monsieur chooses not to leave the courtyard, whereas MCat likes to wander. Maybe MCat smells of other cats? He does seem very smug when he returns at teatime...

cozietoesie Mon 22-Jun-15 08:48:39

I don't know - the hiding behind the washing machine is something that might have me looking speculatively at the wainscoting with a thought of mice but the creeping round is something else - that sounds more like continuing worry/fright. It sounds as if something's wrong in his world so I'd be ensuring that he had the full range of checks at his MOT I think - if you can't put your finger on anything different you're doing.

(You're not pregnant are you? smile)

RubbishMantra Mon 22-Jun-15 09:12:39

The creeping about only happened the 1 night. That's when he discovered the hidey-hole, behind the washing machine. Looking back at my post, I'd implied LM had constantly stashed himself away behind the washer for the last couple of weeks. He just goes there now and again, like it's his den I suppose? And mice could be a possibility - old house. I've got a catch and release mouse-trap in the cupboard, so will pop that down.

Definitely not pregnant <touches wood> but did start a new progesterone only pill about 10 days ago, so possibly smell different?

This morning he's back to his usual self, just hurled my alarm clock off the mantlepiece, tried to steal the cream off my frappuccino, and now chasing MCat about like a man possessed. However, I will make a list of everything "odd" so I can tell the vet at his check-up.

Thanks cozie smile

RubbishMantra Mon 22-Jun-15 09:21:34

Oh sorry, forgot to answer your question cozie, not a chip flap. Thought about changing to a Sureflap, but we've got an enclosed courtyard and have never seen any other cats in it. I've been home a lot the last few months due to being a tad sickly, not a sausage.

cozietoesie Mon 22-Jun-15 09:47:41

Ah - that all sounds altogether better. It may indeed have been the new pill - the timing would fit, I think? And if you're the centre of his world and you're 'different' in some way, he might have been on edge.

But now adjusted it sounds like?

I'm ambivalent about the Sureflap. They're not cheap but all it takes is one feral cat to put you on his Roaming Route - could happen tonight after all - and if LM is a bit 'sensitive' ....... Might be better to think about installing one so that they can adjust to it before they're in the heat of battle. I'd keep it in mind, anyway.

Glad he's improved. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now