Talk

Advanced search

The cats we are getting are not brother/sister after all, but 2 sisters!

(19 Posts)
SunnyAgain Sun 21-Jun-15 11:39:50

The rescue centre phoned me to say they had been neutered and come round after the op, and to say the vet had told them the cats are a pair of females, not the male and female we thought! I have to admit I'm slightly taken aback that the sanctuary hadn't checked. It makes no difference to us (I was very surprised when the lady asked if we still wanted them), but would have thought it would be routine to establish the sex when rescuing cats. Apparently they came via another organisation who had handed them over as brother and sister.
I'm curious to know if there will be any difference having a pair of girls as opposed to one of each.

cozietoesie Sun 21-Jun-15 12:39:40

It rather depends on the cats I suspect - in how they'll be that is.

(There are some cats where sex is a little.....unclear..... so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility. If you were surprised, imagine how the vet felt? grin)

cozietoesie Sun 21-Jun-15 12:43:35

PS - the one who turned out to be female isn't a ginger girl by any chance is she?

SunnyAgain Sun 21-Jun-15 13:42:35

Yes, the vet must have had quite a surprise! Both cats are black and white smile

cozietoesie Sun 21-Jun-15 15:09:54

Such great colouring. You did realize that you'll now have to show us some pics when they arrive?

I was only wondering because in cases of 'imprecision', people are sometimes swayed by colouring and there's still a thought around among many people that ginger cats are pretty well always male. (Not so any more - I think the figure nowadays is about 75% to 25% - although it might have been even more marked in the past.)

When shall you be picking them up? smile

SunnyAgain Sun 21-Jun-15 16:16:35

I think I'll be picking them up on Thursday morning. I have an unusually busy first half of the week so would like to collect them when I have a couple of days at home, so I can be around while they adjust to their new home. I thought they could have a few hours in the house just with me first, before the children come in from school.
Yes, I will definitely post a photo! (And no doubt lots of questions too, though I have been reading lots of old threads which have been very helpful!)

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 21-Jun-15 16:30:01

It could be just nobody check or you could have a hermaphrodite which are not infrequent in the cat population.

cozietoesie Sun 21-Jun-15 16:59:38

Goodness. Out of interest - is that a double op if the latter?

cozietoesie Sun 21-Jun-15 17:00:18

I suspect I'm going to regret asking that! grin

emwithme Sun 21-Jun-15 20:31:07

Itty bitty kitty bits are itty bitty and if there's floof involved, sometimes girl bits can look like boy bits or vice versa.

Those of us who have watched Foster Dad John's kitten cam current litter still talk about when Ash (one of Ripley's kittens) was a girl (he's male) and when Addie (formerly Adam - from the Mythbusters litter) was a boy.

SunnyAgain Sun 21-Jun-15 21:23:16

I never knew hermaphrodite cats were not uncommon!

craftysewer Sun 21-Jun-15 21:51:24

When we took got our kitten we were told it was a boy. At the vets for it's first check up we asked for confirmation, and after the 2 vets and a couple of nurses looked, nobody could actually confirm it. Had to wait until a couple of weeks later, when she turned out to be a girl.

SunnyAgain Mon 22-Jun-15 20:02:27

That's funny! I hadn't realised how tricky it can be to tell!

Writtenbyme Mon 22-Jun-15 20:07:17

I have always found that girl-girl mix of cats get on better than a boy-girl who are usually only close until neutering/spaying.

Looking forward to seeing the photo!

PrettyPirate Mon 22-Jun-15 23:56:03

We just got 8-week old sisters (orphans who grew up at rescue centre and foster home), so my experience is only four days long. But so far they've been sweetest couple, love how they wash each other and snuggle up together for a sleep. I really hope their relationship stays friendly and affectionate like thatsmile

SunnyAgain Tue 23-Jun-15 21:48:11

They sound adorable! I hope our little girlies will be like that smile

PrettyPirate Tue 23-Jun-15 21:55:26

Currently snuggling upsmile
Different time zone, hence the bright sunlight!

MissGrey86 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:11:54

Oh My days, they are adorable!
This is exactly what happened with our kittens. They had been to the vets and the breeder said they were brother and sister. Then we took them for a check up and found out they were sisters. To be fair, the confusion was all down to the fluffy cat being totally fluffy all over, and her sister being so sleek and small in comparasion

PrettyPirate Thu 25-Jun-15 16:15:25

How cute are they MissGrey!!! How do they get along?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now