Talk

Advanced search

When to get pet insurance? 9 week old kittens.

(5 Posts)
whyhasmyheadgonenumb Sun 21-Jun-15 10:45:22

Just after a bit of advice about pet insurance.

Picked up my 2 lovely kittens yesterday, they havent been to the vets yet so arent neutered, vaccinated or microchipped. I have an appointment next week to get them vaccinated and checked over and plan to keep them inside and then get them neutered and microchipped as soon as the vet recommends so they can start going out.
When can i insure them? Got some quotes and the websites state that they dont cover existing medical conditions but i wont know if they have any until they have been vet checked? I have stated that they arent vaccinated etc so i guess i can take the cover out today?

Thanks all

bodenbiscuit Sun 21-Jun-15 11:22:21

I've got a ragdoll kitten who I insured with Pet Plan. It's about £12/month and gives up to £7000 of treatment per year cover. The vet that she is registered at really likes Pet Plan and you can arrange with them to claim the money directly if you ani all needs treatment. After researching it seemed like the best insurer to go with.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 21-Jun-15 12:07:52

If you haven't yet seen a vet there are no pre-existing conditions and the most comprehensive insurance is a lifetime policy taken out before a puppy or kitten ever sees a vet.

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Sun 21-Jun-15 15:50:10

One of the kittens has a bit of a limp i have noticed now she is wandering about a bit more, its not causing her any discomfort (she doesnt guard her leg when pressed or messed with) and shes jumping about all over the place now.....have texted and called the owner to see if its a new thing or something from birth but she isnt responding or answering. (they are just moggies, not from a breeder, i bet she knew and didnt want to tell me).

I suppose ill need to wait to see the vet to get that looked at becasue im guessing that will be noted as a pre existing condition.

kimbasmum Mon 22-Jun-15 15:41:03

Unfortunately anything you notice before you take out your insurance will potentially be a pre-existing condition which is one reason why the best time to take out pet insurance is normally as soon as possible!

I have an independent unbiased pet insurance website (I am not a professional just a fellow pet owner - 3 dogs - 1 cat) which has reviews and lots of info which you might find useful.

www.pet-insurance-guide.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now