Talk

Advanced search

Why doesn't my cat like me?

(14 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Sun 21-Jun-15 10:38:02

We have a 2 yr old ex-rescue cat. We've had her for about 6 months and she just doesn't seem to like me.

I am the one at home all day so I'm the one who feeds her and gives her some company (and Dreamies). DH can take or leave her whilst the kids tend to grab at her.

She never comes to me for attention, unless I'm in the kitchen and there is food in the offing. I often trip over her, such is her attentiveness in the kitchen. However, she won't even sit on the same sofa as me, so no chance of her being a lap cat. However, this week she has slept on the lap of my MIL and the babysitter. Yesterday she spent much of the late afternoon, early evening on the end of DD's bed. As I sat down to give DD a bed time cuddle, the cat shot off and sat 2 metres away from us, with her back to us. She spent the rest of the evening sleeping on DS's bed rather than in the lounge with me.

I fee quite sad that her dislike for me is so obvious. Is there any way to make her like me as frankly I'm finding the experience unrewarding. sad

PolterGoose Sun 21-Jun-15 10:56:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WalkingThePlank Sun 21-Jun-15 11:05:16

So I should ensure that my gaze does not meet hers? It will be like being a servant who dare not be caught looking at their master. It's not very rewarding is it? hmm

usualsuspect333 Sun 21-Jun-15 11:08:20

My cat doesn't like me either. He only likes DS.

I'm just the one who buys his food and feeds him. Cats are odd.

Rathalie Sun 21-Jun-15 11:09:46

Walking, you have described the cat : human relationship perfectly in your last post!

WalkingThePlank Sun 21-Jun-15 11:10:41

Oh dear, Rathalie...

msrisotto Sun 21-Jun-15 11:10:51

It is good cat etiquette to ignore each other. That's why cats are always attracted to non cat people....

WalkingThePlank Sun 21-Jun-15 11:12:29

OK, am going to ignore her today. Makes me sad that does.

gamerchick Sun 21-Jun-15 11:13:13

You really shouldn't take it personally. cats are funny things... Mines not that affectionate unless it's on her own terms and won't sleep on knees or anything but I have woken up after a cold night to find her curled up on my boobs slowly cooking me.

They aren't here for our pleasure someone once said grin

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sun 21-Jun-15 11:25:52

Agree ignoring the cat is the best thing to try.

Play hard to get :D

LocalEditorEssex Sun 21-Jun-15 11:28:25

Boy cat is an arse like this too.
He is all over any visitors but I only get his attention when he is hungry.

timtam23 Sun 21-Jun-15 12:55:51

I agree with ignoring but maybe talj to yourself as you go about your normal routine so that the cat has the sound of your voice around her witbout the intensity of full-on contact.

I think if you stare at cats or make very direct eye contact with them, they view it as a threat. I read somewhere that you should blink at them as this is what another cat would do to show friendliness. I tried it and it's true! If I blink at my cat he blinks back and seems to like it! Also I've noticed that when he comes to find me he looks at me & half-shuts his eyes when he gets to me, again this is a sort of blink I think.

hiddenhome Sun 21-Jun-15 20:34:34

Go onto YouTube and do a search for Jackson Galaxy. He knows all about cat behaviour and you'll be able to learn how to communicate with your kitty.

Don't take it personally though, cats are weird. My ancient rescue cat has always loved dh and quite happily ignores me. However, when I take her to the vet, she will snuggle into my tummy and seek my reassurance.

gamerchick Sun 21-Jun-15 20:37:48

I properly love Jackson Galaxy, I follow him on Facebook. It's amazing how many people support declawing their cats and taking away dogs barks with operations when he brings it up how horrible it is. My brain boggles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now