Talk

Advanced search

Is there any rhyme or reason to cats washing

(11 Posts)
TealFanClub Sat 20-Jun-15 10:39:17

I mean is that a routine that they follow, is that a prescribed quick wash and brush up, or do they just watch what itches them?

chockbic Sat 20-Jun-15 10:41:12

Jack has come back soaked today. So extra licks and grooming, to dry him off.

His head smells musty too. God knows where it's been.

cozietoesie Sat 20-Jun-15 10:44:06

I'm sure I recall a quote from somewhere 'If in doubt - Wash!' wink

cozietoesie Sat 20-Jun-15 10:47:14

Ah - it seems to be 'When in doubt, wash' and to be from a Paul Gallico book.

smile

Meepandyoup Sat 20-Jun-15 10:54:12

Ours seem to have a routine they follow, where they start with the ears, move to the face, then down the chest and front legs, tummy, back and then back legs. I'd say their tongues are exhausted by the end of it all.

RandomMess Sat 20-Jun-15 10:58:52

Is there rhyme or reason to anything cats do apart from demand food then eat it????

TealFanClub Sat 20-Jun-15 15:49:24

i would HATE to be a cat on the washing front.
There must be some bits of their bodies they just cant get to

RubbishMantra Sat 20-Jun-15 17:10:13

Apparently the only bit they can't get to with paws/tongue id the back of the head. That's why you put spot on flea treatments there. They'll use washing as a displacement activity, they find it relaxing.

They'll often start at the anal glands, working outwards, so they smell like, well, themselves. grin

cozietoesie Sat 20-Jun-15 17:35:31

...They'll often start at the anal glands, working outwards, so they smell like, well, themselves...

Well it may be 'themselves' they smell of but...........

grin

DontCallMeBaby Sat 20-Jun-15 18:08:52

The vet recently suggested the reason one of my cats is overgrooming and nibbling the end of his tail could be that his anal glands are bothering him and he can't get at them - but like most cats he spends a fair portion of his time cleaning his bum, so I don't quite get that! The other one has had some sort of sticky crud on the back of one back leg for over a week, so I can only conclude that whatever logic there is to their washing, it doesn't actually do a lot of good.

RubbishMantra Sat 20-Jun-15 19:33:56

Butt indeed Cozie. Apparently it's only noticeable to other cats.

I have to give them credit, both my lads are pretty fastidious. The little curly bloke sometimes feels a bit greasy, but that's down to the nature of his coat. They are a greasy breed. I swipe his armpits/legpits/ears weekly with a baby-wipe though. Between his toes when he gets black-heads. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now