Talk

Advanced search

Cat missing a week today

(24 Posts)
Fugghetaboutit Thu 18-Jun-15 15:33:25

My cats been missing a week today sad

Feel so upset. Put lots of posters up, called him every night, lots of interest in social media and lovely people looking out for him for me. Just losing hope he will come home.

RubbishMantra Thu 18-Jun-15 16:20:18

Oh no, you must be so worried.

Have you informed local vets and animal charities/rescues? And the microchip people?

Some people on here have had results with emptying vacuum cleaner outside house. Helps puss smell his way home.

Fugghetaboutit Thu 18-Jun-15 16:25:37

That's a cool tip re vacuum cleaner, thanks.

I haven't heard a peep from him since thurs night despite having a v loud miaow. I went looking around estates and gardens with bins.

I've told vets, RSPCA and local shops have posters up.

Just posted him on animalsearchuk. He's quite skinny anyway, would he survive this long? I'm hoping someone's taken him in and hasn't seen the posters.

Fugghetaboutit Thu 18-Jun-15 16:26:21

We only moved to the area a couple of weeks before so he had never left the garden prior to that night so must've got lost sad

SonceyD0g Thu 18-Jun-15 16:37:53

Could he have gone back to your old house? Also not very nice but if you ring your local council they may have picked him up if he has been run over. Ours went missing for 2 weeks once we got her back she was very hungry but otherwise fine. Hope you find him soon

RubbishMantra Thu 18-Jun-15 16:47:07

There are posters on here who've had their cats return which have been missing for months, even years.Hopefully it won't be that long until your boy returns, but don't give up hope. Cats are very resourceful.

If he's chipped, do let the microchip company know he'd missing, and have a google of other local animal charities, (apart from RSPCA who I see you've contacted) and give them a call with his details.

Hope you're reunited soon. flowers

Fugghetaboutit Thu 18-Jun-15 17:12:40

I updated his details on Anibase and reported him missing there.

I was wondering how I could find out if he's been run over, so would the council know?

Thanks for the kind words. He's so nervous. He's a rescue so really isn't used to adventuring out like other cats I've had. He'd much rather be indoors!

Fugghetaboutit Thu 18-Jun-15 17:24:21

Just emailed Cats Protection as I got him from there asking to put him on their website.

RubbishMantra Thu 18-Jun-15 17:52:27

It's worth phoning your local council, but I understand that will be a scary thing to do. Best to know either way though? Some boroughs are more diligent re. scanning than others.

A while back, we got fliers through our doors, about a local cat gone missing. A few weeks later, there were notes saying puss had been found. So I'd say worth putting some leaflets through letterboxes?

Fugghetaboutit Thu 18-Jun-15 18:46:47

Yes I might put them through letter boxes. Some one house bound might've taken him in thinking he's a stray. Thank you. Yes better to know

timtam23 Thu 18-Jun-15 21:19:54

So sorry to hear about your cat

Mine went missing last year, only for 3 days but it was so upsetting. In addition to what you have already mentioned I asked the postman & milkman to keep an eye out, I also hung a blanket on the line to give the scent of home, I have heard putting cay litter outside does the same & also the vacuum bag contents as already said above. I also put about 200 leaflets through doors. Neighbours kindly put his pucture on local Facebook & Twitter. I let the microchip company know too & they registered the chip as "missing".

I did ring 2 local councils (environmental health) as I live on the border of the 2. Both said they tried to identify cats who had been run over, by scanning for a chip or trying to find a collar, and they did contact owners where possible. One council guy in particular was really lovely & understanding ( he had a cat of his own).
In the end my cat returned of his own accord in spite of all the searching & we never found out where he had been...there are some threads on here where cats have been missing for weeks & weeks before turning up so please don't give up hope yet.

Fugghetaboutit Sat 20-Jun-15 13:36:52

Thanks timtam. Spoke to the council, he's not there thank goodness so hopefully he's ok.

Posted lots more posters yesterday and had a call after I got in from a woman saying she's sure he came into her conservatory the night before smile haven't heard from her since so guessing he didn't come back.

FatherReboolaConundrum Sat 20-Jun-15 16:26:05

Hi Op, So sorry to hear about your missing cat. I said this on another thread but will repeat here: Please, please keep calling for him, even if you don't think he can hear you. Someone gave me that advice when our cat went missing a few months ago and it saved his life - he'd fallen into a dead space between two high walls and couldn't get out. DP and I went out several times a day calling his name and eventually he called back. We kept calling and he kept answering and that was how we were able to pinpoint where we was. If we hadn't done that he would be dead now, no question.

Hope you get him home soon flowers

Fugghetaboutit Sat 20-Jun-15 16:40:54

Thank you, I will. Upset it's raining and he's probably out there sad

Can't go out tonight as dh is out and I have ds here.
Will go out tomorrow morning and eve and call. Luckily he has a normal name that isn't embarrassing to call out smile

timtam23 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:14:42

At least that phone call may be a positive lead, try to stay hopeful.

FatherReboolaConundrum Sat 20-Jun-15 18:23:16

Fingers crossed for you OP.

Fugghetaboutit Mon 22-Jun-15 03:01:32

Still nothing. Walked around for 2 hours today calling all over. sad

marshmum Mon 22-Jun-15 03:15:57

So sorry he's still missing. You mentioned that you recently moved. Did you move far? Could he be trying to get back to your old home? Can you check with new people at your old home or neighbours if too far for you to go? Can you put up posters on possible return route? If it's any comfort there are lots of cat lovers who will understand and help your search as much as possible. I really hope he comes home soon.

peckforton Mon 22-Jun-15 07:42:29

I would go out and shout and shout and shout his name. One of mine disappeared for a week and I found him half a mile away I just kept going out to different places and shouting him. I think he had been chased off by another cat as he was fairly new to us. Also take a cat box as when we found him it was only half a mile across gardens but a mile for me to carry him home.

Fugghetaboutit Mon 22-Jun-15 07:54:46

I moved from my mothers, it's a good 6 miles up the road. He's never been an outdoor cat so it's so unlike him to wander off. He's not adventurous at all - more sits under my bed all day and will peek out when I come in.

He's very timid as he's a rescue cat too. I'm really hoping he's found somewhere safe and warm.

I will keep shouting for him, I'll try further tonight. I shake his food too hoping he'll hear

goshhhhhh Mon 22-Jun-15 08:16:32

I really hope he comes home. It is very worrying. All of mine have wondered off at some point, even the homebody cat. He came in one morning as if nothing happened. Hope it's like that for you.

VickyinVenice Mon 22-Jun-15 11:34:59

I had a tom who went for three months then wandered back in bold as brass one night.He had been staying with another family locally.We did worry esp dd.I am sure he will return soon a lot of toms do this.

Fugghetaboutit Mon 22-Jun-15 15:54:13

I wouldn't be so worried if he wasn't new to the area. But it was literally 2 weeks after moving to a new area and he'd only been in the garden a few times, never over the walls sad

VickyinVenice Mon 22-Jun-15 16:13:04

He has probably tried to return to his old territory is it far?Try not to worry I know its hard not to but cats are born survivors and lots of people will feed a cute stray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now