Talk

Advanced search

Cat pooing next to the litter tray but not in it?

(13 Posts)
googoodolly Wed 17-Jun-15 08:49:02

We have two cats, male and female - from the same litter. They're two and a half and both neutered.

We have three litter trays - one each and a spare, in different rooms of the flat. The girl is fine, goes in the litter tray all the time, no problems. The boy, however, pees in the litter tray fine, but poops right next to it. As in, he sits IN the litter tray but goes on the floor. This happens regardless of what litter we use and whether it's been changed recently or not.

Any ideas on how we can stop this happening? At the moment, we're just cleaning the poo up and cleaning the floor.

Mimigolightly Wed 17-Jun-15 12:13:01

Do you have an open tray or is it hooded? A hooded one with a flap may help.

Alternatively, it may be that he doesn't want to poo in the same place as he wees. You may need to put a second tray next to it.

googoodolly Wed 17-Jun-15 12:18:30

It's an open one. He sits in the box and hangs his bum over the edge to poo (weirdo) so a hooded tray would definitely help with that!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 17-Jun-15 13:56:00

Is it big enough for him?

googoodolly Wed 17-Jun-15 14:36:18

It's the biggest one we could find!

We had a cat who did this too.. stood in the litter and pooed over the edge! We got a hooded one and this did help, but she sometimes still pooed out of the front edge so I'm afraid we just put newpapers under and around!

She was a bit thick, but a dear cat!

googoodolly Thu 18-Jun-15 09:49:40

Yeah, I have to say boycat isn't that intelligent - he ran into a doorframe four times yesterday! grin

cozietoesie Thu 18-Jun-15 11:20:42

If it was really four times, I think I'd have his eyesight/general health checked. That's too many for a cat who is able.

googoodolly Thu 18-Jun-15 13:31:11

He's checked by the vet regularly and he's fine, he just charges down the hallway and doesn't stop in time! If he's walking at a sensible pace he's fine, he just has mad moments where he bolts around and doesn't stop.

cozietoesie Thu 18-Jun-15 15:03:20

I could well be too ready to go to the vet on things, I confess. I know only that Seniorboy - who has practically no vision left as far as I can tell - has only bumped into something twice in the last 9 months or so: once when he was having a giddy moment and hit the newel post a glancing blow when he misjudged a turn on his run up the stairs and once when he was heading - for the first time in 10 months - to his sunshine patch in the front room and banged into a chair in the bay window.

(That second was a moved object as well and not a fixed position.)

I think I'd keep an eye on him if I were you. Has he ever used the litter tray correctly?

This might be interesting reading even though he's a young cat.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 18-Jun-15 15:05:59

One of mine does the standing in the tray but pooing over the side thing. Then turns around and around and waves his paw in thin air as if covering it over with imaginary soil... confused. I think he's just a bit thick smile

gamerchick Thu 18-Jun-15 15:07:54

Running into things isn't a good thing.. I would be concerned about that.

The tray.. Mine did that, just hovered her arse over the edge.. A one with a lid sorted that out.

gamerchick Thu 18-Jun-15 15:09:53

Yeah the covering the crap with air royally does my swede in. Bury it properly the way people say they do ffs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now