Talk

Advanced search

Stir-crazy cats

(8 Posts)
givemushypeasachance Tue 16-Jun-15 10:45:18

So I've just moved house due to landlord needing the house back ishoos, not even quite a mile away from the old house but it was still a giant faff. Monty & Rolo were pretty much the last things moved, they were happiest staying outside out of the way while things were being dismantled or boxed up and strangers were around. Then we had the joy of trying to get Monty into a carrier, always a Benny Hill sketch... anyway they are here in the new house now. Keeping them confined to one room lasted until 3am the first night when there was cry-meowing and scratching at the door so I checked on them and Rolo darted out; wider house exploration then began. They seem to have adjusted okay and having explored around aren't too stressed - I've got felliway on upstairs and pet remedy calming stuff on downstairs so that may be helping.

But this morning after they had breakfast, usually their going outside time, both went over to the backdoor and were sniffing around and looking at me and tail lashing a bit. It was definitely cat language for "right, okay, so can we go back out like usual now please?". Their default position is out at breakfast time and aside from the odd visit to say hello or eat some biscuits/dinner, they like to stay out till curfew at 10pm or later. Being under house arrest for a couple of weeks isn't their idea of fun - does anyone have any suggestions of things I could try to keep them occupied?

I've tried to make the windowsills all accessible and a little sunbathing/sleeping area in front of one upstairs window so they can look out as much as possible, and I have plenty of toys when I can engage them in playing (though I'm back out at work during the day from tomorrow) - last night they got a bit hyper and seemed to prefer to have a scrap on the stairs instead of playing with the fishing rod I was trying to attract attention with. I'd just like to try to make it as stress free as possible while they have to be kept in, until the nerve-wracking process of letting them back out in a new area begins!

Attached is a pic of Monty mauling a poor defenceless pompom and Rolo having set up a den in the most inaccessible spot under my bed (as usual)...

givemushypeasachance Tue 16-Jun-15 10:48:58

I forgot to mention this is how I hoped to prevent issues with the cat flap - it's locked but I didn't want them to keep pawing at a locked flap that won't open then forgetting that normally they do work, so it's taped up for now. Hasn't stopped them sniffing around it and clearly suspecting something is up!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 16-Jun-15 16:49:55

Oh dear, how much longer have they got till they can go out again?.

Butterflywings168 Tue 16-Jun-15 22:57:17

We had a Monty growing up. DM moved when I was at uni but 'home' for holidays. He was middle-aged and a fat bugger huge majestic beast. Cats were in carriers out of the way. DM was busy outside, I was packing and heard a crash, went to investigate. Monty had broken out. Yes, he had actually broken down the door of his carrier and was making a bid for freedom. I grabbed him inches from the catflap still have the scars
grin
DM thought and thinks to this day I was exaggerating and got rid of them a few years later, bitch angry
Anyway. Poor kitties, but you have to harden yourself. Earphones if necessary. I suggest cat toys - gives them a bit of exercise killing things so should calm them down a bit.

Butterflywings168 Tue 16-Jun-15 22:59:57

Sorry - to be clear I meant new toys, I know you have some already. smile

tangledyarn Tue 16-Jun-15 23:16:26

I could do with some ideas too..currently looking after a stray who is mainly confined to one room and as she feels better is becoming increasingly annoyed about it. The bouncy ball has been a hit today but I'm running out of entertainment ideas now.

crikeylou Tue 16-Jun-15 23:19:18

I feel your pain OP. Had similar recently when mine had to stop in for a week after an operation.

I just spent every evening after work playing with him as much as possible to wear him out so he didn't wake me during the night. Sorry to say, it didn't always work!

givemushypeasachance Wed 17-Jun-15 09:31:39

They do have new toys and I try to rotate them around and play with them with the frenzy and fishing rod toys and all sorts, but sometimes they'll join in and other times they'll just sit there looking at me as if to say "oh please, that's a poor substitute". I'm also trying leaving them with different dens and tunnels and hiding spots, and even a ping pong ball floating in a bowl of water (they seemed bemused but hey it's new and different!).

Yesterday evening and overnight we had lots more scrapping - Monty is definitely the instigator and keeps going up to Rolo and bashing him around the head. Little tussles aren't that uncommon but are usually confined to the brief period between them being shut in for the night and going to bed - this was on and off over several hours unfortunately. It's quite wearing!

My aim was to try to keep them in for two weeks to ensure they're well settled and know this is home, and we're only on day three...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now