Talk

Advanced search

What food should I get for soon-to-arrive cats?

(16 Posts)
SunnyAgain Mon 15-Jun-15 14:25:25

This is s very basic question I'm sure! Hopefully later this week our 2 new rescue cats will be coming to us, and I don't know what they should be eating, having not had a cat since childhood. They apparently eat Felix and Whiskas pouches at the moment so I guess starting on those would be best, but should I give dry food as well/instead at some point? The cats are around 7 months old.
Thank you!

fenneltea Mon 15-Jun-15 15:02:38

Some say that dry food helps their teeth, but there is the downside that it can cause urinary problems. I try to feed quality meat rather than food containing cereals as I have an allergic cat.

Butchers Classic tinned is a good quality reasonably priced food and for dry I'm feeding Arden Grange sensitive at the minute. Zooplus have some good quality high meat content foods too. Saying all that, it's usually a case of what my fussy cats will eat at any particular time! confused

Tinfoiled Mon 15-Jun-15 15:06:36

I feed mine Applaws dried - which is a high quality dried. They came to me on Felix and GoCat. I think a diet of good quality dried food is fine - I fed my last cats on similar (2 males and a female) and they never had any urinary problems.

SunnyAgain Mon 15-Jun-15 16:07:55

I have to admit I hadn't really known about better quality foods than the mainstream brands. I don't want the cats to have to adjust to new foods immediately, but it would good to move them onto something with a higher meat content. The woman at the rescue centre did say these two aren't too fussy which is good to know!

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Jun-15 16:50:39

Initially what they are currently being fed so you don't have a big food change at the same time as a territory change. Once they are settled in after 10 - 14 days change them to your long term choice.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Jun-15 16:52:00

Go-cat anecdotally from 100s of vets is associated with urinary stones. Better quality dried food like James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange etc is not.

noddyholder Mon 15-Jun-15 16:53:05

I have a new kitten and the woman I got him from gave me a list of what he liked and so i bought it all at great expense and he won't touch it and will only eat what my old cat has Meanwhile the big cat has started eating the baby stuff Cats eh? I would stick with teh pouches and see how you go they tend to let you know

Stinkersmum Mon 15-Jun-15 16:53:12

What lonecat said. Don't change immediately but as settle, start looking at better quality food. Applaws is good.

Mimigolightly Mon 15-Jun-15 17:26:40

I always feed mine Royal Canin as it's good quality with a high protein percentage plus there is lots of choice based in your cats age & lifestyle. I would make any dietary changes gradually so you don't upset their tummies.

SunnyAgain Mon 15-Jun-15 19:20:43

Thank you all for the advice. Yes, I will start on familiar food and then gradually introduce something better once they are settled.

Fleurdelise Mon 15-Jun-15 21:28:27

I rescued a cat a month ago and she was so fussy I thought she may have a terminal illness. Apparently she was on Purina but I bought all sorts of it and she wouldn't eat it.

Until out of desperation a bought science plan as the vets told me is one of the best and it prevents the urinary issues. She loves it!

Now she eats Science Plan and I also treat her with Gourmet wet food and she seems to like Sheba also. But her main food is the dry one. The others I treat her with only every other day.

SunnyAgain Tue 16-Jun-15 09:27:20

There are so many different foods, now I have started looking it's hard to know which to try. Glad to hear your cat was fussy rather than ill!

mugglingalong Tue 16-Jun-15 09:34:55

One of our cats is gluten free so we use butchers for wet food and jame wellbeloved for dry. They are fairly fussy, refuse any fish wet food and recently have been turning their noses up at the wet food. Also they will refuse any wet food left out for more than about 20 seconds. Such a contrast to last year when they were both starved and would gulp down half a tin in one go. They have trained their slaves well.

Wittynewnameifonly Wed 17-Jun-15 08:10:03

Pets at home do their own brand Purely Holistic dry and wet cat food. The dry food (haven't looked at the wet food) is a lot higher meat content than go cat /whiskas etc but a lot cheaper than some of the top brands. Only two flavours but mine love it.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 17-Jun-15 12:44:32

H will only eat James Wellbeloved and it has to be duck or turkey flavoured! When he first arrived we fed him on Whiskas, which is what he'd had in his foster home, and we gradually changed him to James Wellbeloved.

Going slightly off topic, I've worried about H only having dried food, especially after being told on another car forum (that I no longer use!) that I'm basically killing him. Lonecat, you've made me feel a lot better! I have tried wet food but he won't eat it so I've got to feed him something!

Fleurdelise Wed 17-Jun-15 12:58:19

Pink I asked the vet about it and he said good quality dry food is fine as long as they have fresh water at their discretion.

Mine eats the Science Plan dry food and a few times a week half a tin of Gourmet or Sheba but sometimes she gulps it down and sometimes she just sniffs it and moves on to the dry food.

She is now eating so well the Science Plan dry food that I am grateful he (the vet) told me about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now