Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas? Cat being sick...

(11 Posts)
Babytalkobsession Sat 13-Jun-15 20:09:50

Help! Our cat has thrown up pretty much every day for the last 10 days. Vet has done a blood test / medical and can't find anything wrong. The problem is, literally every time she's vomited she's done it on our bed!

I'm wondering, does anyone know if this could be stress related / behavioural? The reason i ask is that she's always been incredibly nervous / sensitive ( we adopted her & it took a looong time to gain her trust).

Since having our son (now 18 months) we think she's struggled with the noise / chaos in the house. We also recently had to leave her in a cattery for a week (this was just before the vomiting started)

It feels like she's almost doing it to show she's not happy? Always on our bedding / sofa ad not on the hard floors. Could this be a thing?

To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if she's happy living with us anymore.

Or any advise on what else it could be? She's a healthy weight, eating ok, looks & acts well in herself. She has struggled with teeth & gums but vet felt this looked under control at the mo (she had extractions last year & may need more in the future.

We're really struggling to cope with her right now sad

cozietoesie Sat 13-Jun-15 22:27:49

If she's been checked thoroughly by the vet, the only thing I can think of is that my own current old boy was being sick an awful lot - pretty well daily - starting when he was 16 and it was down to his teeth. He had a big GA dental with practically everything extracted (he still has his front fangs and one back tooth) and there have only been a handful of vomits in the intervening years.

When was she last at the vet? Oh - and how old is she?

Babytalkobsession Sun 14-Jun-15 10:28:19

Thanks Cozie. She was seen by vet about 2 weeks ago. He was happy with her teeth for now although they are an ongoing problem. She's only around 9 years old! It's quite worrying & also practically a pain - we work full time & with a toddler it's not easy coming home to sick everywhere confused

cozietoesie Sun 14-Jun-15 10:59:52

I can appreciate that. Seniorboy used to be sick on the most difficult to clean rugs/cracks in the floorboards etc - it was a real PITA.

I guess the only thing I would say in any case is that if she has ongoing serious dental issues, I'd probably have her mouth attended to sooner rather than later. It would be a GA procedure and although she's only 9 - young by my books - the teeth are going to need attention at some point and it's generally better to do a GA while the cat is still young I think.

One of the vets who post may have thoughts about her vomiting - I'm sort of interested that it coincided with her return from a cattery. Do you know if there has been any change in her diet since then or during her cattery stay?

getinthesea Sun 14-Jun-15 11:03:27

Ours does this if she's having a particularly bad problem with hairballs. It doesn't happen if we give her hairball-friendly dry food and dose her every twice a week with a product called lax-a-paste which is basically chicken flavour paraffin and lubricates the hairballs out. We got it from the vet.

justyeh Sun 14-Jun-15 18:48:45

If the vet has ruled out all illness and says her teeth are fine and she's not suffering with hairballs and been wormed and it's not the food causing it, does sound like it could be a behaviour problem, cats do things like being sick or pooping on beds to bring it to our attention they are not happy about something, if it's after her stay in cattery that's probably the cause of it and unsettled her, she needs settling down again with her own quiet place to retreat to when she's stressed by noise, lots of cuddles, maybe a treat of her favourite food and spraying feliway around where she sleeps, eats, hangs out can help. She just needs reassuring that she's loved.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Jun-15 12:40:56

Low grade gastritis/ pancreatitis neither of which will show up on blood tests. Oral H2 receptor antagonists seem to help a large number of these cats in reducing number of vomits.

yoshipoppet Mon 15-Jun-15 14:55:00

A cat I had was very like this. She nearly died as a result of the stress when we had builders in the house once. In the end the vet put her on steroid pills which at least helped with the physical inflammation, and time took care of the rest of it. But any new stress and she would throw up all the time.
We tried Feliway, didn't work. We tried Zylkene, didn't work. It really was very hard to watch this all going on and know she was so unhappy.

QforCucumber Mon 15-Jun-15 15:06:28

Have you changed her food at all?

We have found ours will vomit when she has Felix, or tinned tuna, but anything else she is fine with.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 16-Jun-15 20:00:09

Mines been sick four times today. No idea why.

He is looking very sorry for himself in his bed.

code Tue 16-Jun-15 20:43:31

Lots of vomiting cats have pancreatitis I believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now