Talk

Advanced search

Stray cat..what to do?

(23 Posts)
tangledyarn Sat 13-Jun-15 08:29:03

A young cat was hanging around the other day..on closer inspection she looked in a bad way..really bad flea infestation and allergy and underweight. She's now in my spare room..she's not chipped or neutered and local Facebook lost and found groups have so far not turned up an owner. She's lovely grin and looking much happier already now she's deflead and being fed and cuddled. The thing is my resident cat is very highly strung and grumpy generally and am really worried about upsetting her by taking in another cat so I don't know what to do for the best. I think stray would be happy here..she needs lots of tlc and some medical treatment which i'm happy to provide but I worry about how it will effect my pfb..but then part of me thinks actually she might be ok and I won't know until I try.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Jun-15 08:56:18

Well you can but try. Confine stray to one room while your sorting the vet appointments out and see how pfc reacts.

There may be sulking though.

fenneltea Sat 13-Jun-15 09:24:03

I've taken in several strays over the years, including a pregnant feral. My initial cat (also grumpy and an only cat for years) was hissy and spitty to start with, but introducing them carefully he has accepted them all with good grace and they all get along fine now. They know when to give him a wide berth if he is feeling grumpy, which gives him a sense of self importance I think! I've currently got five cats, all get along okay even with his quirky character.

I'd agree with confining the newcomer for a while and swopping blankets to get them used to each others smells (when fleas, medical issues etc are sorted) and then start feeding them nearby, gradually moving them closer together until they are happy to be together. It can take time, I really hope it works out for you.

tangledyarn Sat 13-Jun-15 09:49:16

Thanks! so far resident cat has just sniffed around outside the door but generally seems her usual grumpy self. I'm hoping a long lost owner turns up but am doubtful given her condition..it's hard to know how much effort to put into looking for the owner..I'm worried about the owner turning up and saying yes she went missing 3 days ago and me not wanting to hand her over to a neglectful owner but obviously if someone has been looking for her for the last 2 months then I'd be super happy to see them reunited but then I'd imagine they'd be on facebook groups etc? Should I also be putting posters up locally do you think?

cozietoesie Sat 13-Jun-15 10:37:25

I think I'd get her medical issues sorted before I did anything if that's possible - including having her spayed. (The last thing she needs is feeling better and then coming into season.) If you have to have her rehomed, it would improve her prospects enormously and - in any case - you don't need a possible tenous accommodation between her and your existing cat to be ruined by her coming back from the vet and smelling odd all over again.

fenneltea Sat 13-Jun-15 12:46:11

I'd probably try posting details on the CatAware or AnimalSearchuk website, then if somebody is genuinely looking for their cat they will have more chance of being reunited, plus you won't get folks seeing a poster and fancying a free cat. Make sure any claimants have photographic evidence of the cat too.

To be honest I doubt it's unlikely that anyone will come forwards, no one ever has for the ones that turned up at mine, there seem to be plenty of abandoned or dumped animals around sadly. I think you've probably got yourself a cat!

I also agree with cozie spaying asap is a good idea if she's physically up to it.

tangledyarn Sat 13-Jun-15 13:16:15

Thanks have put up a poster in the local shop but think it's unlikely anyone will come forward. I think she's probably in season bless her as she's very very affectionate..hopefully not pregnant although the vet couldn't rule out v early pregnancy.
We are still undecided as to whether we should try and keep her or not but for now I'm just feeding her up!

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Jun-15 13:34:49

I wouldn't try to find an owner. And if anyone tries to claim her make sure they provide proof in the form of photos at least. No one will though.

Firstly check her nipples. Are they swollen? If so she's feeding kittens somewhere. In which case come back to us for advice.

If that's not the case then certainly take her in and make an appointment at a vet. It doesn't matter if she's pregnant you can have a spay/abort done. It would be for the best. There do seem to be some 'pro-life' vets around, so if one vet won't do it there will be some who will.

The first stage is to get her well and neutered. Then you can decide what to do about her. It's normally possible to introduce a second cat into a household with care.

tangledyarn Sat 13-Jun-15 13:46:44

No nipples aren't swollen so I don't think she's had a litter recently and if she's pregnant it's very early so neutering won't be a problem.
A friend has a contact at a rescue so she's going to talk to them on Monday and am hoping I might be able to get a voucher for neutering as although I'll get it done whatever it couldn't have come at a worse time as I'm currently on long term sick leave from work so not being paid. She'll also need vaccinations and could do with a full check up..vet gave her a quick once over when I took her to be scanned for a chip and she's underweight and her gums are very pale so probably anaemic due to fleas and she's definitely tired and weak although has improved loads since yesterday.
Thanks for advice. I think i've done my bit at looking for the previous owner now so will wait and see.

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Jun-15 13:52:24

It's lucky she found you. I don't suppose you're in London?

tangledyarn Sat 13-Jun-15 15:25:54

Aww thanks..she's really lovely and just wants lots of fuss and company bless her. Obviously I just want to keep her grin but both myself and dp have real worries about how badly highly strung resident cat will react. Not in london unfortunately xx

tangledyarn Thu 18-Jun-15 10:08:07

Little stray is still with us..there's no room with CPL or other local rescues although she's on the WL for CPL now. I'm getting her spayed tommorow as vet thinks she is likely early pregnant. She's doing really well and seems happy although doesn't like being on her own. Resident cat not so happy, am doing the scent swapping thing and slowly trying to introduce them although we are just at smell at the moment. Resident cat is cleary very put out by the whole scenario but she's a super grumpy cat anyway so I'm not suprised..but she's not run away and is still eating etc so I guess it could be worse!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Jun-15 15:28:35

Poor thing, you will have to keep her.

fairbalance Thu 18-Jun-15 15:37:04

Resident cat WILL get use to her. Take it slowly and also make a big fuss of resident cat. I have had cats ALL my life and have been in this situation numerous times. You have to keep her smile She sounds gorgeous smile I am terrible for taking in strays I am a soft touch.

tangledyarn Thu 18-Jun-15 19:43:07

I'm desperately hoping that resident cat will accept her..She's lovely and I really want her to stay now
I'm just worried as resident cat is even more grumpy and bitey than normal and is just keeping out of the way and i've hardly heard her purr all week sad

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Jun-15 19:59:18

A weeks not a long time to them. They have all the time in the world after all.

Corygal Thu 18-Jun-15 20:29:44

A tiny furry fairy has arrived in your life! Very emotionally beautiful for everyone! Look, resident cat will be fine. Well done you.

Ring the Blue Cross for cheap vettery, they are fab. If that doesn't work (BC only do some areas) email the RSPCA in your area and ask for help - a friend of mine had all her vet's bills paid for a new stray direct by her local RSPCA branch. She had to track the right person at the branch down, but after that it was cheques all the way.

Congrats again.

tangledyarn Thu 18-Jun-15 20:38:59

Thanks..trying to be positive about it..I know it's not been long and these things take time!
CPL are paying to have her spade which is a great help..have already had a couple of small vets bills she had some tummy trouble but if I'm keeping her I'll get her insured so should be ok...good to know tho x

tangledyarn Mon 29-Jun-15 18:41:49

Little stray is staying grin She's been spayed and I'm getting her vaccinated and chipped tomorrow. The cats don't like each other but are managing to live together so that's good.
Having 2 cats is great..why didn't I think if it before grin

CocaKoala Mon 29-Jun-15 18:58:53

How lovely!! We're in the process of introducing a third cat well kitten to our 2. Cat number 2 isn't fazed at all but oldest cat is not a happy chappy at all. I'm praying given time he will settle but he's highly strung at the moment. He got used to cat no 2 eventually when she joined us so I'm hoping he'll welcome no 3 in the same manner, or if not, at least tolerate.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 29-Jun-15 19:10:44

Well done. You wouldnt have liked handing her over anyway to a rescue.

tangledyarn Mon 29-Jun-15 19:47:04

I hope it works out ok coca ..I did a week of smell only before introducing them bu sight..they are hissing at each other but generally muddling on ok and there have been no fights yet.
I know I would have struggled to hand her over..they get into your heart very quickly!

Ah how lovely.. well done you for giving a fur person a new life!

BTW my old resident cat is a grumpy cow.. When we got the kittens a year ago she sulked in the garden for a whole month and refused to come in..I was so upset. Then she agreed to come in for food but hit them and hissed etc.

A year on she will share the bed with Ophie sometimes, other days she slaps her.. and she ignores Obie entirely. They all eat side by side and spend most of the day lounging in the garden at a respectful distance. They are never going to best mates but they have learned to share.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now