Talk

Advanced search

Cat neutering

(17 Posts)
BettyCatKitten Thu 11-Jun-15 22:19:27

A friend of mine has an adorable 4 month old Tom kitten.
I'm trying to convince her to get him neutered. She keeps changing her mind whether she will have him 'done'.
She has previously had another Tom cat, that was not neutered, that has gone awol and she has blamed a person near her for 'stealing' him!
I have tried to explain that neutered Toms are more likely to stay closer to home etc.
As a cat lover myself, I've always neutered/spayed my cats, to me that makes sense.
How can I persuade her it's for the best for her kitten? Suggestions please smile

cozietoesie Thu 11-Jun-15 22:47:28

Send her this link. International Cat Care are a pretty authoritative bunch and if the kitten is 4 months, he's almost certainly ready to be neutered right away.

(Her tom that went is probaby miles away living rough and fighting - or he could have come to harm in the course of roaming.)

BettyCatKitten Thu 11-Jun-15 23:06:29

Thank you cozie
That's what I said to her. I'll send her the link. I don't ubderstand why these cat owners won't do this? He's clearly ready but they always make excuses? I don't get it. She even said to me she's got a voucher for money off!

thecatneuterer Fri 12-Jun-15 00:33:54

Yes it's her fault her tom cat is no longer with her. She sounds irresponsible and very stupid. Point her to this: www.celiahammond.org/index.php/faqs/neutering-information

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 12-Jun-15 07:42:47

My anecdote - 70% of the road traffic accident cats I have seen in my 17 years in practice have been unneutered male cats. IME 85% of cats killed in a road traffic accidents are unneutered male cats.
Aside from that the smell of living with an unneutered male.

BettyCatKitten Fri 12-Jun-15 08:28:47

I'm going to see her this afternoon and will try (again) to persuade her.
Yes catneuterer I think it's irresponsible too. Plus she knows I only have rescue cats. Urgh, why are some people such twats?
She kept going on about having to save money for her wedding yesterdayconfused well don't get a bloody pet then!

iamadaftcoo Fri 12-Jun-15 08:37:39

Why would she not want to neuter him? Ask her if she actually wants him to piss all over the house?

cozietoesie Fri 12-Jun-15 09:18:50

Good luck then. If she's still swithering mightily, maybe suggest she comes to this board and asks. I'm sure she'll receive some trenchant views. smile

BettyCatKitten Fri 12-Jun-15 09:36:25

I'm sure she would grin

thecatneuterer Fri 12-Jun-15 12:35:21

why are some people such twats?

Indeed. I would say at least 95% of the problems our rescue has to deal with were caused, somewhere along the way, by people being twats. And our rescue efforts are frequently hindered by people being selfish, uncaring, cuntish twats. After being involved in animal welfare for so long my default position is that people are stupid twats and I frankly despise them all, until they show themselves to be otherwise. It's a depressing view to have.

BettyCatKitten Fri 12-Jun-15 13:08:50

I'm not surprised you feel like that thecat you're at the sharp end of irresponsible twatish behaviour. I'm only dealing with one person and cat and its pissing me off!
You must bloody despair!

RubbishMantra Fri 12-Jun-15 15:03:59

Oh God, I used to know someone like this. Nearly 10 cats, would steal neighbours' cats. Never got them neutered. RSPCA would come out, she'd tell them she 'couldn't cope', cats would be put into a shelter. Then she'd get another kitten, not neuter it. Whole sad cycle would begin again.

Not surprised you have that view of the human race TCN. Some arseholes can be so unbelievably selfish.

BettyCatKitten Fri 12-Jun-15 16:58:14

Right. Have managed to convince (force!) her to get him neutered. I showed her information on the links (thanks for those smile) and he's booked in for pre op assessment next week. Thanks for all your replies, I love it when a plan comes together smile

thecatneuterer Fri 12-Jun-15 17:05:25

Yay grin. That's one stupid twat redeemed. Only a few billion to go ...

cozietoesie Fri 12-Jun-15 17:26:17

I'm pleased. His health and - likely - his safety will be much improved by it.

smile

BettyCatKitten Fri 12-Jun-15 17:30:53

I hope so, he's adorable, but there again I'm a sucker for a kitten grin

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 12-Jun-15 17:40:14

TCN one twat at a time we will change the world.��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now