Talk

Advanced search

Would it be terrible to let my adult cat out before she is fully vaccinated?

(4 Posts)
fitzpleasure Wed 10-Jun-15 12:11:08

As in, letting her out after the first of the 2 injections? She is desperate to go out but it will be 4 weeks from Saturday (date of first of the 2 jabs) before she can. We live in a area where there are likely to be mostly vaccinated cats. Any opinions?

cozietoesie Wed 10-Jun-15 13:05:04

I wouldn't myself because she wouldn't be fully protected. Maybe have a read of this - in particular the bit about only having one injection.

The risk may be a lot lower than if she'd had no injection at all but are you prepared to risk it on her behalf? You have to make these decisions for her after all because all she'll want is to get out and play. You can't exactly reason with her and tell her that there will be other summers.

fitzpleasure Wed 10-Jun-15 13:34:10

Ok thanks. And thanks for the link - I guess I will have to make a judgement call on it!

tacal Wed 10-Jun-15 20:36:59

I let my very aggressive first cat out after first injections. It was becoming really awful trying to keep her in. The vet told me I should let her out because she was so aggressive. Either that or return her to the cattery. I think the vet was right because life was becoming very difficult and ds and I were getting a lot of bad scratches and bites from the cat. She was also ripping the wallpaper next to the door.

It will be a difficult decision for you to make.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now